Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

What do I do about Orange?

(17 Posts)
StarChartEsq Wed 22-Jun-11 13:40:34

My dad sadly passed away at the end of March and as the adminsitrator I phoned Orange to cancel his mobile phone contract the day after.

I prioritised Orange from previous bad experiences of cancelling contracts and wanted to deal with this one first.

Unfortunately it was too late to stop the money from going out of my dad's account (we hadn't figured out where it was going from at that point) two days later so it was paid. We accepted that and haven't challenged it.

They asked us to fax a copy of the death certificate and gave us a number. The number did not work.

I took the death certificate to a local Orange shop and got them to fax it. The number also didn't work, so they spent half an hour on the phone getting an alternative number and the faxed it. They told me that their receipt machine didn't work but agreed to sign the death certificate as having seen it.

The following month my mum received a bill. I phoned (and absorbed the expense and time being on hold) and they assured me it was just the system and not to worry about it. My mum, however got stressed out by this as she had thought I had sorted it.

The following month my mum got another bill. I phoned again and refused to get off the phone until they agreed to send my mum a letter of apology. They refused to that but absolutely gave their word that we would get no bills.

The following month my mum got another bill and a strongly worded letter. She was extremely stressed about this and it has caused difficulties in our relationship at an already awful time. It caused a feud between be and my brother who had already felt a bit upset that my mum had asked me to sort things instead of him.

The next day, my mum received a letter asking her to forward a copy of the death certificate in order for them to close the account and cheekily put in the wording that as a gesture of good will they will credit the remaining balance (i.e. the bills that they have been sending unnecessarily and stressing out my mum).

I refuse to spend more money on phonecalls to orange, or to spend the 90mins in their shop sorting out faxing, or indeed now even a postage stamp. I am so angry at what they have done to our family at an extremly sad and stressful time, particularly as I have already done all the right things to no avail. I don't want to waste time again.

Can anyone please tell me what I can do to get rid of them out of my and my mum's life for good. I have already cancelled my own Orange contract and moved to 3. I would leave it until the bailliffs turn up and show them the death certificate as that would be most efficient but it would stress out my mum.

Any ideas?

StarChartEsq Wed 22-Jun-11 15:30:27

bump?

StarChartEsq Wed 22-Jun-11 21:08:57

Anyone?

CandiceMariePratt Wed 22-Jun-11 21:14:40

Sorry for your loss. I would cancel the direct debit from the bank

Starchart Wed 22-Jun-11 21:16:36

Yes, thank you. One of the first things I did was freeze that bank account, which is why we are getting bills.

They haven't received payment but are just harassing my mum. The 'credit' that they are planning to give her is simply to undo the bills that they have sent hmm.

I told her to just stick any orange envelopes in the bin but they are really stressing her out.

Starchart Wed 22-Jun-11 21:34:38

bump.

zippy539 Wed 22-Jun-11 21:40:08

Sorry no advice - just wanted to say how bloody awful that must be. Is there anyway of redirecting the bills to you rather than your mum - though that will probably involve as much hassle. Orange is VILE.

Starchart Wed 22-Jun-11 21:45:08

Well if they can't read a death certificate, can't understand a phone call from one of their shops, can't communicate my many phone calls to them, I don't see how they'll be able to change an address really.

And I'll resent the stamp now, especially as it will be for nothing. I once had problems cancelling an account. i don't believe it is incompetence but bullying into being paid off to go away. That is what they tried to do to me but eventually after a YEAR of battling they sthe cheque for £34 that they STOLE out of my account.

Horrendous company.

Starchart Wed 22-Jun-11 21:54:29

Thanks for responding though zippy

Starchart Thu 23-Jun-11 10:45:21

Can anyone help?

CoffeeDodger Thu 23-Jun-11 10:57:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fivegomadindorset Thu 23-Jun-11 11:04:06

CEO email is tom.alexander@orange.co.uk

MorelliOrRanger Thu 23-Jun-11 11:04:28

tell your mum not to open any of their letters and to send them back.

Starchart Thu 23-Jun-11 11:05:13

Blimey, - thank you five. How did you do that?

fivegomadindorset Thu 23-Jun-11 11:06:16

google ceo email adresses and it comes up with loads. Good luck.

Honeydragon Thu 23-Jun-11 22:44:18

I have posted about the bereavement register on your other thread. If you want any other help feel free to pm me. You should not pay this bill, Orange should also apologise to your mother.

zippy539 Thu 23-Jun-11 23:08:09

Did you get any joy from the CEO Starchart?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now