Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Tell me all about E-book readers - the Kindle or something

(7 Posts)
Tobermory Sun 12-Jun-11 23:00:47

I need an idiots guide to the ebook reader and recommendations or otherwise.

Do you own/use one?
What is it?
Pros/cons?

Thankyou in advance

smile

Bluebell99 Sun 12-Jun-11 23:08:26

I have a kindle and a ipad. What I really like about the ipad is I can borrow e books from the local e library, which is fab, free reading. I use the library alot and am not used to paying for books. When I first got my kindle, the books were cheaper, but now publishers set the price for a lot of the books so maybe check out the prices first. The ipad and several other e books use a format called e pub (i think) which alot of the libraries do too. Kindle uses something different, although I understand you can convert books into kindle format using something called calibre, but I haven't done that myself. Kindle is very light. My first one died within a month but amazon replaced it with no problems and very quickly.

Tobermory Sun 12-Jun-11 23:11:59

I so want an iPad. But too many pennies!

The ebook reader is in theory a gift for DH.
But I might need to try it too.

An elibrary sounds a great idea!
Thanks for your thoughts

jabberwocky Sun 12-Jun-11 23:13:09

I have a kindle and really like it. Mine is the smaller one but works well. I have been a bit disappointed that some of the ebooks are almost as much as a regular one but then you can't beat the instant gratification of whispernet! It has also gone a long way towards my book storage problem.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 12-Jun-11 23:16:20

I have a Kindle, and my DH has a Sony e-reader, which I bought him a couple of years ago. At the time, the Kindle was unproven, and the link to Amazon-only books seemed a real restriction.

However, now - the Kindle is much more user-friendly than the e-reader. You can load books directly onto it, rather than having to go via the PC.

I would definitely go for the Kindle. And go for the 3g/wireless one.

Bluebell99 Sun 12-Jun-11 23:23:04

Yes, I love my ipad. It's fab. My dd was in hospital last week and was watching films on it. I love that I can get audiobooks on it as well from the libary. I just was showing it to my elderly parents today and they were amazed!
I like the fact you can be sent samples of books for free on the kindle, I don't know if other e readers do that. And that the books appear straight away on the kindle, you can purchase them direct from the kindle with out using the pc. Amazon sometimes have offers on e books which are worth looking out for. For example at Christmas, they had loads of books for just a £1 and I discovered some new authors that way.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 12-Jun-11 23:24:29

Oh, and loads, loads of free books on Kindle too

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: