Advanced search


(9 Posts)
fifitot Sat 11-Jun-11 21:48:27

Help - we have narrow stairs with walls either side. The only place to put a gate at the top has a normal wall on one side but the newell post on the other which is rounded. It won't withstand the pressure of a pressure fix gate but because the post is rounded it won't fit the fixed in type.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is putting a block of wood on the post and fixing the gate to that.

diggingintheribs Sat 11-Jun-11 21:54:33

ours are round and quite narrow and the fixed one went in

how much space is there at the landing?

fifitot Sat 11-Jun-11 22:02:42

Not that much, I think a gate would fit but wonder how to fix it to post. it would fit with screws on one side to the wall but because it's a carved wooden post, not easy to screw right in. i think we would have to put an extra bit of wood on to it.

Thanks for reply.

diggingintheribs Sat 11-Jun-11 22:12:22

That is annoying

i was going to suggest you use the room divider around the stair (we have this at the bottom of ours - it does take up room though)

how about the retractable ones?

fifitot Sat 11-Jun-11 22:20:57

Yes thinking of the retractable ones but they are very expensive. They are my last resort as up to £90 each!

howzaboutthat Sat 11-Jun-11 22:23:10

We have something similar to [[ this]] fitted between a wall and a banister. The banister is wide enough to take the fittings that the gate fixes in to.

howzaboutthat Sat 11-Jun-11 22:23:20

99 this]]

howzaboutthat Sat 11-Jun-11 22:23:33

ah! this !!

fifitot Sun 12-Jun-11 20:09:27

Thanks. I will either have to have a bit of wood attached to the wall and stair post or get the retractable one. Nothing is ever simple!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: