Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Kindle for elderly parent? Advice please..

(5 Posts)
brokenrecord Wed 08-Dec-10 17:26:27

My mum has macular degeneration and has to read large print books now. She loves reading and would like to read new nvels as they come out.
I have seen that the Kindle is recommended for people with macular degeneration because the font size can be increased and i wondered if anyone had any info.

Problems might be - she is very resistant to change, she is not techie at all and does not have internet access at home. i could arrange getting books transferred by myself or neighbours, but would she need internet at other times?

Thanks for any advice.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 08-Dec-10 21:29:54

She only needs the internet to download books - I guess she's unlikely to start surfing the web? grin The Kindle would be perfect, as it's very easy to change the text size, and you just click a button (on either side of the kindle) to turn the page.

Hope this helps.

Monkeytoo Wed 08-Dec-10 21:35:32

Hello - I bought one for my mum recently and she loves it. She does have a little bit of 'technical' knowledge in that she does use a PC to access email but pretty limited.

Anyway - she likes that she can change the font size and has managed to download some books.

The kindle is packaged really simply and is pretty easy to use. I would recommend that if you do get her one then also invest in a leather case and a light. The case helps as you can prop the kindle up with it in bed or on a table. It will also protect it in case of being dropped. The light obviously helps with visibility and you can get one that runs from the kindle power. Also - I would recommend you pay a little more and buy the kindle that has free 'whispernet' access rather than requiring a wireless network. I decided that expecting my mum to work out how to connect to a wireless network when she wanted to download a book a bit too complicated. You'll just need to make sure she has an amazon account set up with her credit card and the kindle associated to it - and then she should be all set.

Sorry if this is too much detail that you already know!

brokenrecord Thu 09-Dec-10 10:04:04

Thank you very much for this - off to hit the 'buy' button!

littlebellsmum Sun 16-Jan-11 22:55:16

OP - how did you get on? My MIL is in the same situation and we are thinking of doing the same for her too for the same reason. Would love to know your experiences

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: