Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Things we do - forgetting we do not have our children with us!

(34 Posts)
ACL Mon 17-Nov-08 20:36:21

Today I waited for the green man to appear despite a clear road, and lots of people crossed the road whilst I stayed awaiting the green man's appearance!

I have also taken a lift when I could have used an escalator!

And yes I have been heard to say "wheee!" when pushing a supermarket trolley but without my child!

It is amazing what you can carry on doing without children, forgetting the protocol of adult life!

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 17-Nov-08 20:39:11

Message withdrawn

PtolemysMummy Mon 17-Nov-08 20:39:25

I have been known to rock an empty supermarket trolley to and fro.

MmeLindt Mon 17-Nov-08 20:41:34

I once waited in line at the butchers counter, shoogling my trolley and shoooshing my shopping. blush

wonderstuff Mon 17-Nov-08 20:42:02

I do that too PM, and I rock back and forth without dd in my arms, I must look like a loon.

freshprincess Mon 17-Nov-08 20:43:37

I pointed out a fire engine to my DH.

suwoo Mon 17-Nov-08 20:43:48

Or when you say something like 'ooh an ambulance' or 'ooh a horsey' blush and you are in the company of adults only. Yep, done both those.

Surfermum Mon 17-Nov-08 20:44:28

These are funny!

I've talked to an empty car seat and asked it "are you OK sweetheart?" grin.

claireyBANG Mon 17-Nov-08 20:46:18

I rock to and fro even without ds in my arms. Once at the checkout in the supermarket the lady told me the total and I said "Just let mummy look for the money" or words to that effect.blush Luckily dd was with me so I pretended I'd said it to her even though I was looking directly at the checkout lady when I said it.

Simplysally Mon 17-Nov-08 20:48:16

Go to move cutlery/glasses etc out of arms reach in a restaurant and realise that you've gone out for dinner with adults, no children grin.

MaggsS Tue 18-Nov-08 15:41:41

Drive at least 5 miles down the road listening to there Cbeebies cd!!

Bad enough but singing along!!!!!!! blush

piratecat Tue 18-Nov-08 15:46:50

I was never particularly maternal. Had my own dd, and now i can see why people have/like children. So it always amazes me when i go all 'ahh' over other peoples children, when i am out shopping , ie in a lift, snd there is a baby in pushchair.

I know it's not exactly something like you were talking about in your op, but it's soemthing I DO, when i don't have my dd with me, and then i miss her!!! Then i feel i am being thought of as weird, then have to go on to say 'oh i've got a dd...'

honestly it's like i have never seen a baby before. It's also exactly how my mother gets when she sees a baby. I used to think yrs ago 'why?' as she was never particulary maternal to us in that cuddly baby way!!!

ilovetochat Tue 18-Nov-08 15:46:56

got out of car, went round car, opened rear door, reached in for dd, realised she wasn't with me, pretended i was after something else blush
called dp daddy when dd not with us.

PortAndLemon Tue 18-Nov-08 15:52:21

I do the rocking from side to side when I don't have DD with me, too. And if I happen to be driving without DCs in the car I always think "they're very quiet... wonder if they're asleep?" at some point before I remember.

jacsingh Tue 18-Nov-08 22:16:12

Was out with my sister the other day who has no children of her own and my trio of little ones and was handing out drinks. After enquirying if my sister wanted a drink I proceeded to open the bottle for her and remove the lid. I did it so fast and routinely it was a few seconds before the embarrassment factor steped in for me. Mental note to myself - I need more adult company !

Threadworrm Tue 18-Nov-08 22:21:38

I remember stopping to watch a digger when not with DSs, and only realising after about half a minute that diggers weren't actually interesting to me.

piratecat Wed 19-Nov-08 11:15:32

threadworm thats v funny!!

onthewarpath Wed 19-Nov-08 11:25:38

Ran maddly accross a shop screaming I had lost my baby (in the pram), while she was safely at home with DH. Threadworm, I did that with Bin lorry, the binman kept on smiling at me and I could not understand why...

mrsmortenharket Fri 28-Nov-08 15:20:24

sod protocol!!!
i will lean on the trolley and push my feet off the ground to make the trolley wheel itself down the aisle!!!

jinglemamadivasbells Fri 28-Nov-08 15:31:43

Dont think theres any of these I dont do...

Must be parent thing turns your brain to mush I tells you!

mrsmortenharket Fri 28-Nov-08 15:37:47

[blsuh] i used to do the trolley dash before i was parent!!!grin

Teaslegirl Thu 11-Dec-08 15:56:12

I have been out for supper, taken my husbands plate, cut his food up and returned it to him all before he had time to comment on more than one occasion

allytjd Thu 11-Dec-08 16:12:16

I followed the wiggly snake painted on the playgroung on the WAY to collect DS3.

NoGoodAtCleaning Sat 13-Dec-08 13:24:08

onthewarpath- I can't stop laughing at that!

I too have done all these things- mostly waggling and shushing my shopping trolly and calling myself mummy to any and everyone. I also say 'You sleeping cheeky boy?' to my empty car seat.

inapeartree Sun 14-Dec-08 21:38:19

Long ago at work, a senior male colleague turned to me and said "I'm just going for a poo". He was immediately mortified and I was bemused as I didn't know until later that he was potty training a toddler at home. I recently saw him at a conference and got the giggles, which of course I couldn't explain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now