Talk

Advanced search

Tea Room the Tenth: Tea and cake and rock and roll

(1001 Posts)
MadBadandDangerousToKnow Mon 07-Sep-09 23:29:13

Welcome back to the tea room.

In the search for the perfect venue, we have now decamped to a rambling country estate. The once-decaying castle, now restored, is a boutique hotel, popular with rock and roll gentry and visiting bishops, and the tea room (which never closes) is located in a tastefully converted barn. The charming garden contains a duck pond and ends in a haha. We need the haha, of course, to stop the bison trampling the herbaceous borders. Mellors the gardener is, as ever, in charge of the grounds.

Please come and join us for a celebratory drink.

thumbwitch Tue 08-Sep-09 00:38:43

Well done MadBad - it looks lovely!

<hastily deposits glitterball in some understairs cupboard for future use>

Now, what suits this castle best for the tearoom-warming drink... How about a bottle of extraordinarily expensive Petrus?
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Cheers everyone!

Jacksmama Tue 08-Sep-09 02:53:55

<brings a bottle of Taittinger to celebrate having gotten to 10,000 posts!!>

Catitainahatita Tue 08-Sep-09 04:12:27

grin [grin[ grin

Well this does look lovely... if only I understood enough about utube to post a link to "To the Manor Born", which I think should be our theme music at this point.

Penelope Keith, can you imagine her as a MNetter?

(JM: It's a sitcom about a lady of "the manor" who has to move out when her husband dies and a business man buys her stately home. P.K. is the leading lady).

Catitainahatita Tue 08-Sep-09 04:15:23

Have managgd it. Here is the theme music

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAUncZYWa8Q

I also realise now that there was a remake a couple years ago. I had no idea, I am off to have a giggle on youtube (having consulted with DH on how to search in it) and watch the clips posted.

RacingSnake Tue 08-Sep-09 09:03:53

<<After an awful night on the world's hardest sofa/canape with Wriggle and her streaming cold, RS is up bright and early in the new tea room, searching for a power point to plug in the electric kettle until Mellors can install the aga.>>

Great! A rambling barn conversion is much more my thing - I never quite understood what the last tea room was. I'll just make a nice pot of coffee and put some of this apple cake (made from our own windfalls but decorated by Wriggle with jelly beans, which gives it an unusual taste) on a plate and then go and get dressed ready for my last day of freedom before term starts tomorrow.

Tea - hope all went well on the school run and beautiful dress wasn't caught in sudden shower. As we live in the depths of the country, nursery was chosen for proximity only - anything else would involve two hour long round trips in one morning. I must give it a few sessions before condemming it totally (mustn't I - I don't want to!)

Thinking of school run, I have just been reading Babette Coles 'Le probleme avec les mamans' with Wriggle (BC lives in next village and invited all local children to tea last weekend to celebrate new book.) That being so, will probably select this for 'school run' on Thurs http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/19880.jpg
as it is probably how they will soon see me!

RacingSnake Tue 08-Sep-09 09:04:37

images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/19880.jpg

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 08-Sep-09 09:16:11

To The Manor Born? I think Amber was hoping for a bit of rock and roll excess! But I daresay that we will discover more about this tea room, the longer we are here.

Tea and a hot buttered crumpet, anyone?

amberlight Tue 08-Sep-09 10:09:00

The Rock 'n Roll section is at the back, just next to the Gracious Drawing Room* (as featured in Hello magazine of course). Its location has been positioned to cause the least possible problem for the Bishop and his guests (well, unless we open the windows, of course, or spill out onto the manicured croquet lawns for a bit of a rave). grin

Tea and hot buttered crumpet sounds wonderful. Anyone for tennis?

* how the heck do you know if a drawing room is gracious or not??

CMOTdibbler Tue 08-Sep-09 11:08:44

gracious = no jelly or pizza stains on the carpet

I don't do tennis - no hand eye co-ordination and poor depth perception don't work with it. I was forced to play it at school, but teamed up with friend who had spina bifida - I couldn't hit, and she couldn't run, so all we did was serve at each other.

You sound really down Racing. Forgive me for being intrusive, but is this just about Wriggles nursery ?

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 08-Sep-09 11:10:32

Thank you for the offer, Amber, but tennis is not my forte - although I do have an astonishing backhand. I'm looking forward to playing croquet with the bishops (or even with a mallet hmm.

And are there any flamingoes on the duck pond?

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 08-Sep-09 11:17:27

Oops. Only just saw Racing's post, which crossed with my earlier one.

Am sending another ((((clandestine hug)))). I am quite sure that you have absolutely no witch-like characteristics, but as an occasional visitor to style and beauty I have to say that the green foundation (although v v effective in minimising redness) seems somewhat overdone in that picture. The nipped-in waist is good but otherwise the dress is gloomy. Have you had your colours done?

Apologies if that sounds too flippant but I think Cmot's right. You do sound as if the start of term - yours and Wriggle's - is getting you down so perhaps we need to lark about a bit and distract ourselves.

<<Feeling a bit disconnected in the house on my own>>

MaryBS Tue 08-Sep-09 11:33:57

settles herself in nicely in the corner, after depositing sick son in the creche... blush

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 08-Sep-09 11:45:36

Oh dear, Mary. Has DS got a lurgy or is he showing the way in rock and roll over-indulgence and its after effects?

Would you like tea and a crumpet?

amberlight Tue 08-Sep-09 12:21:02

This is a magical tearoom, therefore we can all play tennis to international standards, which is remarkable because I've never been able to win a game of it in my life before now grin

Poor sick son, Mary sad

<takes slice of apple cake and ponders why she can hear "oh I do like to be beside the seaside" being played somewhere in the middle distance>

MaryBS Tue 08-Sep-09 13:03:08

He keeps complaining of a headache and high temp, brought down again by ibuprofen.

I'd like to play tennis at international standard, can I play with the men though? Some of those women players scare me!

MellorstheGardener Tue 08-Sep-09 13:18:38

<<Opens the tea room door and pauses in the doorway. His tennis whites are pristine, emphasising his broad and manly shoulders and toned biceps. His lithe and muscular legs are still tanned from a summer spent in the garden. A shy smile plays across his features. At last, he speaks.>>

Ladies. I have just repainted the lines on the grass court, which is down near the haha. Have I ever mentioned that I was once county champion in the mixed doubles? I will be offering tennis lessons in twenty minutes, if anyone should be interested.

<<Mellors is almost trampled in the stampede>>

MellorstheGardener Tue 08-Sep-09 13:18:38

<<Opens the tea room door and pauses in the doorway. His tennis whites are pristine, emphasising his broad and manly shoulders and toned biceps. His lithe and muscular legs are still tanned from a summer spent in the garden. A shy smile plays across his features. At last, he speaks.>>

Ladies. I have just repainted the lines on the grass court, which is down near the haha. Have I ever mentioned that I was once county champion in the mixed doubles? I will be offering tennis lessons in twenty minutes, if anyone should be interested.

<<Mellors is almost trampled in the stampede>>

amberlight Tue 08-Sep-09 14:03:24

Oh, TENNIS lessons blush Sorry...! Slight mishearing...though you said...oh nevermind...

<collects her hastily discarded clothing and tries to put it back on again, in a slightly embarrassed way>

UniS Tue 08-Sep-09 14:25:20

i'll swing by later for a read. C U soon.

MaryBS Tue 08-Sep-09 14:32:37

Have I missed the lessons?

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 08-Sep-09 15:01:23

<<Peers out of the window, towards the tennis court>>

Well, it looks as if Amber is receiving a lot of help with her serve. And there seems to be a crowd of swooning ladies waiting in line for their own personal tutorial, so you'd better get over there quickly.

By the way, that's a lovely tennis dress, Mary, although I hadn't realised they were being worn quite so short this year. shock

MaryBS Tue 08-Sep-09 15:05:09

I couldn't afford a new dress, so I had my surplice altered (altared? LOL) so it was a little more fitted... I thought I'd get changed just in case...

(realises she hasn't thought this through, and what will she do when she has to lead evensong in a tightly fitted surplice? blush)

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 08-Sep-09 17:27:21

Just hoping that the bishop won't drop into your church on the evening you're leading evensong in a micro-mini body-hugging surplice, Mary. grin

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 08-Sep-09 17:43:52

I'm keeping a lookout for zazen, who kindly turned up at the previous tea room to help with the tidying-up and packing.

<<Lays a trail of cake crumbs from one tea room to the other, to entice zazen and any other hungry people>>

This thread is not accepting new messages.