Talk

Advanced search

How is 38 for the second?

(17 Posts)
margobambino Sun 16-Aug-09 22:29:20

I am an only child of a working parents. It has its advantages and disadvantages to be honest.
I have a 2 years old son now and really want to have second one, but I am 37 years old. I do not feel fit or well enough to have a baby at the moment but maybe next year I can think of getting pregnant. Do you think it's too late and risky?

hocuspontas Sun 16-Aug-09 22:33:05

I had my second at 38 then a third at 41. I never felt there was any risk. You'll be fine - at the moment you don't feel like it but that won't last forever!

Good luck!

margobambino Sun 16-Aug-09 22:51:09

That's very good to hear hocuspontas. Did you have amniocentesis?

hocuspontas Sun 16-Aug-09 23:07:41

No, I had blood tests with all my pregnancies and the results showed that the risks of down syndrome and something else that I can't remember were low enough not to be a concern. My youngest is 11 now so things might have changed.

cece Sun 16-Aug-09 23:15:28

I had DC2 at 38 and DC 3 at 42. Felt OK with both.

margobambino Mon 17-Aug-09 13:20:15

Anybody had amniocentesis?

Acinonyx Wed 19-Aug-09 20:31:44

I had dd at 43. I didn't have an amnio but I know a lot of people late thirties/forties who did (too many to count). I know 3 who had terminations due to the results, which was very stressfull.

I didn't personally feel it was too risky and the odds are always in favour of the baby being OK. There is always some risk though and you are wise to think about it and how you would handle that - as should anyone becoming a parent at any age.

HeadFairy Wed 19-Aug-09 20:35:46

I'm having dc 2 at 39. No amnio here either, after nuchal and triple blood test my downs risk came out at 1:400 and that was enough for me not to test further. Every year adds risk, but I don't think it's too late at all.

midnightexpress Wed 19-Aug-09 20:37:45

I had my two at 39 and 40 and it was fine - both PGs very easy, though the births less so. I didn't have amnio either - we had nuchal test and bloods and were given vastly reduced odds of problems. Sufficiently reduced in both cases to be far less than the risks associated with amnio. I have a friend who is currently pg with her 5th(!) at 42, and will have 3 under 5 when this one arrives. She's had amnios with the three youngest I think.

As acinonyx says I think you need to think about what you would do with the information given to you from an amnio. If you would proceed with the pg regardless, then I probably wouldn't bother.

margobambino Thu 20-Aug-09 01:39:23

That's a good point ladies. What would I do with the information given from an amnio???!! Would I be able to end my pregnancy if they say my baby has an illness. I am crying even now when I imagine something like that without a pregnancy or such an information.

jabberwocky Thu 20-Aug-09 01:52:34

I had ds1 at 38, ds2 at 41. I had amnio with both of them. Honestly I'm not sure what I would have done with the results if something had been wrong but I really needed to have the information or I would have driven myself mad the rest of the pregnancy. That's just me, though.

margobambino Thu 20-Aug-09 12:01:34

Hi jabberwocky, I'm exactly the same and I have always thought that I definetely would have amnio. I think I still will have if I decide to have 2nd baby.
Did you find it stressful?

jabberwocky Thu 20-Aug-09 13:47:24

I have to admit to being in a bit of a nervous dither about it. Definitely request a FISH analysis and you will get back a report in 2 days. The procedure itself isn't too bad. My second doctor who specialized in high risk pregnancies was so great I really didn't feel a thing. You want to go to someone who does a lot of them. I've never once regretted having it done.

margobambino Sat 22-Aug-09 00:05:07

Thank very much for your answer jabberwocky?
Does it leave a scar or painful afterwards like an operation?
Can I ask who your doctor was?

jabberwocky Sat 22-Aug-09 01:12:30

No scar at all. First time I had some cramping afterwards, second time nothing at all. I had both of my babies in the US but there are other MNers who have had amnio in the UK who could point you to a good dr.

Tee2072 Sat 22-Aug-09 08:14:20

I've just had my first at 40. I did not have an amnio, just a blood test. The results came back 1:1023 (I swear a number I will never forget!!).

I had decided, however, to not have an amnio even if they came back bad, as I was having this baby regardless!

My DS is 10 weeks and right now sitting in his bouncy seat singing to me!

seeker Sat 22-Aug-09 08:16:10

I had my first at 38!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now