Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How often do your onlies have friends round to visit?

(9 Posts)
Takver Fri 17-Jul-09 16:04:31

Just wondering with the holidays being here.

Background - dd is 7, we've just moved. Where we were before dd had a very good friend 30 seconds away who she was accustomed to play with a lot. She still has school friends within (on her own) walking distance but they already have out of school friendships up & running IYKWIM and she is finding it a bit hard to fit in with the dynamics.

Was wondering how much other people with primary aged onlies had children round visiting beyond the immediate casual playing in the street? Cos I'm thinking that maybe I need to do some more organising, but find it a bit hard to work out.

daisy99divine Fri 17-Jul-09 16:50:47

Hi
my DS is only 3 but I arrange playing for him about 1 or 2 a week - depending on what else we are up to. Often that is just arranging to meet in a playground or the park, but something so there is a time and incentive to get out and about

Particularly if you have just moved, why not do a bit of arranging now until things are up and running and your DD fits into the locak groups readily and then you can ease off?

Takver Fri 17-Jul-09 16:54:49

I think you might be right, at least for the holidays - in school term its easier because the children can make arrangements as they walk home.

I always worry though that parents with more than one will feel hassled (especially having seen comments along those lines on here) if their children are happy to play together & don't need 'extras'

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Fri 17-Jul-09 23:17:50

During term time we don't often have friends round, as dd has so many activities at which she sees them (Brownies, dance etc).

<<typical mum-of-one overcompensation for lack of siblings>>

We do arrange to meet friends at the paddling pool etc during the holidays, but with everybody's holiday plans to work around, it sometimes feels like a logistical nightmare! She also has some friends next door, for more impromptu play.

Perfectgangofthree Sat 18-Jul-09 10:17:59

I've found that mums-of-more-than-one are usually happy to offload one of their kids for a playdate smile. Siblings that play happily together are a rare breed IME!

Takver Sun 19-Jul-09 19:01:35

Hmm, sadly I seem to know lots of them Perfectgang .. . I guess also parents of more than one have to duplicate/triplicate the various football/ballet/whatevers that they have to work around.

Takver Sun 19-Jul-09 19:07:35

That sounds a bit negative, doesn't it . . . I don't mean that dd's friends with siblings don't come round to play (they do), just that it doesn't seem to be as easy for their parents as it is for the (not many) people I know with onlies.

UniS Sat 25-Jul-09 21:30:45

boy is only 3 so not sure wht will be whenhe is older, but now, we either have a friend to play or go to play at their house at least once a week. In hols, it might be a day out or a meet up at park in stead of home.

applepudding Sat 01-Aug-09 23:12:39

I asked DS's friends parents when they would be away over the summer so I could make sure I could invite the children over the weeks they wouldn't be away.

On average I would say one child here to play each week, and DS to visit somebody else's house each week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now