Talk

Advanced search

is this normal for an only

(20 Posts)
mufti Thu 11-Jun-09 19:38:53

not looked at this topic much, but ds does watch and latch onto and copy other children a lot.
it seems to me anyway, at toddlers he copies , and at playground he will often latch onto others and follow them around
it gives me quite a pang to think he is desparate for the company of other children
or the other angle,he is just being friendly and sociable
anyone else expreinced this?

Drusilla Thu 11-Jun-09 19:40:29

I think it'a normal for any child regardles of how many siblings

mufti Thu 11-Jun-09 19:42:56

i can spell , s/b desperate and experienced, trying to be quick

mufti Thu 11-Jun-09 19:43:22

thats good to hear thanks, just dont know

teafortwo Thu 11-Jun-09 20:32:04

Yes yes yes - absolutely normal development... It is completely natural.

Copying is a learning technique all mammals use (- think about all those adorable wildlife on one shots of lickle lovelies tryin' to copy a bigger (sometimes only slightly) version of him/her - elephants, gorillas, lions and.... eeehhem... even us humans we all copy to learn!) and it really is a very good learning technique to hone. Children who are big copycats often go on to do very well academically. smile

poshtottie Thu 11-Jun-09 20:51:37

Mufti, my ds is exactly the same. Sometimes he looks so regected it breaks my heart.

How old is he?

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Thu 11-Jun-09 21:31:38

When my daughter was a toddler she also used to follow children around - within five minutes of arriving at the park she always had a new friend! I don't think she did it because she was lonely. She could play very happily on her own but if she saw the opportunity to play with other children she would take it.

It's a very normal toddler thing, I think.

Mulanmum1 Thu 11-Jun-09 23:43:25

I'm just chuffed that my DD is so confident and gregarious that she happily latches onto other kids if she wants to join in the fun. She's certainly not desperate or neglected smile

mufti Fri 12-Jun-09 07:24:53

POSHTOTTIE , he is 3 at the end of this month

poshtottie Fri 12-Jun-09 07:40:16

MUFTI, mine is 3 next month.

mufti Fri 12-Jun-09 07:45:24

isnt a lovely age
im thinking of new inventive answers all day long, to questions like, "why is this my house?", and, "whats mrs punch (as in punch and judy), doing?"
and constantly being asked what day it is , and what are we doing today
is yours going to preschool soon?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 12-Jun-09 07:48:51

Enjoy it..my DD is 2.7 and doesn't even look at other kids...she has suspected ASD..and as a result she is not learning things she needs to as quickly as she should!

So see it as a good thing. smile

mufti Fri 12-Jun-09 08:00:15

fftm , oh sorry, that must be hard
when will you find out ?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 12-Jun-09 08:02:14

oh no, it's fine, I just wanted you to see the copying as positive smile

She is being assessed at the moment, and has actually shown great signs of improvement in last month so could even just be a delay, we will just have to wait and see what happens. smile

mufti Fri 12-Jun-09 08:05:28

was she early?

he was copying the 1 year old next , when he was crawling yesterday, i guess im more concerned that he may copy more unsavoury things, or ,more importantly, something dangerous
sure i worry too much

mufti Fri 12-Jun-09 08:05:51

1 year old next door i mean

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 12-Jun-09 08:09:38

she was 4 and a bit weeks early, and has low muscle tone and other issues.

I am so pleased though, she just copied me feeding her, and popped a Cheerio into her toy Tiggers mouth!!

mufti Fri 12-Jun-09 08:11:58

aah
ds has just been trying to feed his teddy

poshtottie Fri 12-Jun-09 08:26:05

MUFTI ds is starting in Sept. He is going for 3 mornings to start with. It is attached to the school so its a big step, (I'm crying about it already)

He copied two toddlers in the park the other day and as they weren't talking he was trying to make the same sounds as them.

mufti Fri 12-Jun-09 08:50:59

the same here poshtottie, its a whole new world isnt it. i think mine will love it, i will just have to go in and help out a lot i think. sob

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now