Talk

Advanced search

Which bedroom should DS get?

(18 Posts)
Annonnn Wed 09-Oct-19 11:45:14

I'm about to move in to a 2 bed flat with DH and DS, both rooms are doubles but one is quite a bit bigger than the other. My problem is, I think it would be much safer for ds to have the room furthest away from the front door but that's the bigger room, ds is only a year old and we won't be having any other children so he really wouldn't need the extra space as much as myself and dh would, what would you do? Would you give ds the bigger bedroom further away from the front door and share the smaller room with dh or take the bigger room?

stickeritup Wed 09-Oct-19 11:46:16

Take the bigger room 100%. DS will be perfectly safe with the doors locked.

EmrysAtticus Wed 09-Oct-19 11:47:35

You take the biggest room. DS will be perfectly safe as long as doors and windows are secured.

Fluandseptember Wed 09-Oct-19 11:49:34

Depends if you want him to have all his toys in his room. If you want to keep the rest of the house relatively neat and tidy, then give him the bigger room as he'll use it more.

RopeBrick Wed 09-Oct-19 11:52:03

Obviously the two adults should take the bigger room. Sheesh!

What is your concern about the door?

Mintypea5 Wed 09-Oct-19 11:53:25

Smaller room for DS. As long as the door and windows are properly secured he'll be fine. Also why not put a gate on his door just in case

Windydaysuponus Wed 09-Oct-19 11:55:18

I have always had the smallest bedroom! Dc need room to play /have friends over /toys etc.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 09-Oct-19 11:55:29

Give ds the bigger room ,never u derstood why adults need floor space?

jomaIone Wed 09-Oct-19 12:01:33

I would probably take the smaller room but only because I don't use my bedroom for anything other than sleeping and sex, it's a haven. Tidy, not cluttered, and that is much easier with a smaller room. As long as there's plenty wardrobe space that is!

Manicpixiedreambitch Wed 09-Oct-19 12:03:24

Actually it does make some sense to give the child the bigger room-he may actually use it more that an adult.

seven201 Wed 09-Oct-19 12:43:18

Depends on where you want his toys to live. I don't understand the door thing. Are you worried he'll escape?

Grobagsforever Wed 09-Oct-19 12:44:41

Does the front door not lock???

BeanBag7 Wed 09-Oct-19 12:47:11

I would give child the larger room as it can also be used as a toy room rather than having lots of kids stuff in the living room. Plus if you have guests to stay they can share with him.
I can see the logic of adults having the biggest room but all you do in there is sleep whereas children often play in their rooms

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 09-Oct-19 12:49:52

Adults tend to have far more "stuff" though maybe that's just my DH.

Complete faff to vacate your room when there are guests whereas in reality you are far more likely to put your DS on a blow up bed in your floor as he gets older.

Starbuck8419 Fri 11-Oct-19 17:38:55

My daughters bedroom is at the front of the house which I hate. I’ve convinced someone will get a ladder and steal her in the night if I leave her window open so even in the summer they are closed 😂🙄
However, it’s the smaller room and personally, from a purely selfish point of view, until she starts paying the mortgage she gets the small room. You earn that spot.
😊

AllFourOfThem Fri 11-Oct-19 17:41:33

If someone breaks in and knows the layout of the flat (presumably all are the same or similar) they are likely to be expecting adults in the large bedroom and enter it more prepared to attack.

I’d probably give him the large room purely because he can keep his toys there and use it as a playroom as well.

Annonnn Fri 11-Oct-19 18:30:06

Part of why I'm thinking about giving ds the bigger room further from the front door is if someone were to break in they would get to him first, probably a bit paranoid but the more I think about that the more it's a worry.
Myself and dh have a lot of stuff, multiple guitars, cameras etc so we do need quite a lot of bedroom space to keep everything out of reach of ds

Justmuddlingalong Fri 11-Oct-19 18:33:11

flowersYou sound very anxious. Are you ok?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »