Talk

Advanced search

My only is starting school next week...

(8 Posts)
MamaHatfield Fri 30-Aug-19 21:03:01

I have always been very happy with our only DD and we have recently come to the decision to stay as a one child family (Fertility struggles and miscarriage) She is 4 and is due to start school next week. My heart feels very heavy at the thought of our days of constant company and adventure are coming to an end... what am I going to do with myself now?
I'm not sure the reason of this post other than, when your only started school, how were you? And did it get better?
Thank you in advance for any responses x

Birdie379 Sat 31-Aug-19 23:30:10

You’ll soon get into the swing of things, the day just flies by! I work part time but on my 2 days off we walk to school and back. By the time I’ve got home, sorted the house out, had lunch etc it’s soon time for the school run again. Then we have a leisurely walk home through the park.

Try and embrace your new free time, throw yourself into school life. I encouraged play dates after school which really helped DS to make friends and gave him some company.

Your DD might become a grump especially during the first term when they’re exhausted.

Plan special things for the weekends and holidays.

Funnily enough I’m having a similar panic as DS is about to turn 11. I can feel the teen years fast approaching and I’m sad at the thought of him shut up in his bedroom not wanting to do anything with me anymore!

You’ve got plenty of time before that though so enjoy the next phase of parenthood.

LottieBalloo Tue 10-Sep-19 21:39:25

Me too! My only started school yesterday! Aww sad to see baby days go but phew you now have a fun little person to spend time with. Also, I got a proper job using my actual qualifications for the first time in 5 years!!

chocatoo Tue 10-Sep-19 21:45:16

My only starts uni next week. I will miss her soo much. Enjoy every moment with your tittle ones, the time goes so fast.

chocatoo Tue 10-Sep-19 21:46:07

Little!!

CassianAndor Tue 10-Sep-19 22:14:42

I was working part time when DD started school, so not the same situation as you, but it was fine! Watching her develop and learn and make new friends was such a joy.

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 10-Sep-19 22:18:48

My only has just turned 18, she lives with her boyfriend and is at college.
It's honestly ok, having an only is great, I'm so glad I stuck to one.

Happyornot Thu 12-Sep-19 11:54:40

My only just started Year One, and we had been trying for a second until a month before she started Reception for over a year. It was around then that we decided to stop trying, as we were happy with our lives getting "easier" and various other reasons. So it was such a mixed bag of emotions because we always thought we'd have another, but then that changed and our "baby" was starting school. I cried like baby when I left her on her first day, it was so unexpected the amount I sobbed. We lost our Friday together (my day off, so she always called it Mummy day). But now I am down to working 3 days a week rather than 4 and oh how I love my free time, but knowing I can take and pick her up two days a week. We have snuggles on the settee watching tv on those days after school for a bit and she tells me about her day. I love that special time so much and so will you. Honestly the day flies by once you have done washing, ironing, lunch, watched a bit of Loose Women in between lol. Make the most of it, but it is emotional at the time and you adapt.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »