Talk

Advanced search

Buy a house of Baby number2

(5 Posts)
BobAl Fri 26-Jul-19 22:48:02

We are currently renting and have a 4 year old Ds we would love to have another baby but also want to buy a house. The problem we have is to buy a house we will be looking at saving for another 2/3 years and then I worry about the age gap and I will then be 35 I feel so conflicted I never wanted a big age gap but also want the house so we are settled. What would you do?

WBWIFE Fri 26-Jul-19 22:49:24

Buy the house first because the lender will lend less to you with 2 children compared to 1.

EugeniaGrace Fri 26-Jul-19 22:54:36

Personally I’d buy the house.

Buying before having dc1 was one of the best financial decisions we’ve made. Despite upkeep costs, the mortgage is much less than rent so we can better afford childcare and mortgage than if we were paying childcare and rent.

I would be happy to only have 1 child though. You might be different.

Rumi1 Mon 29-Jul-19 18:43:38

Buy first as they take childcare costs as a monthly commitment and therefore reduce your lending

Also if you do it now,you have the extra room less pressure to move when dc2 arrives

First time buyers have a lot of bargaining power in these days x

HappyParent2000 Sun 11-Aug-19 21:24:43

We bought, a 3 bed was just out of reach but we could have stretched (beans on toast 7 days a week).

Sort of glad we didn’t in many ways, we have a lovely 2 bed with a generous garden for a new build. Also we were the first in it so could child proof it before we moved it, which has made parenting much easier!

If we have a second the age gap will be about 5-6 years, not a huge issue unless the 2nd is a girl which means we have to move sooner (9) rather than when our first boy becomes a teenager and needs own space.

We are already well into saving for the next house as well as possible nursery for the second and holidays etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »