Talk

Advanced search

We're merging some sections into the Parenting area

(11 Posts)
MichaelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 15-May-19 16:31:50

Hi all,
We’re doing some work on making the Talk boards more useful and user-friendly for both regular and new users. After looking at some stats for the site, we think we could boost activity on the whole by merging some of the lesser used sections.

We’re proposing to fold this section into the general Parenting area.

This should increase the number of topics in the section - and hopefully lead to more posts and responses to members.

NameChangerAmI Sat 18-May-19 12:27:50

Go for it, @MichaelMumsneI.

You have my vote!

BooseysMom Mon 20-May-19 21:06:58

@MichaelMumsnet.. ditto the above. I use this section regularly and it would be great to see more posts and responses. Thanks for letting us know

BooseysMom Mon 20-May-19 21:20:25

@MichaelMumsnet.. Sorry, will the One Child Families section still be separate and stand out on its own? I think it's important it's still called One Child Families as according to posts here, they seem to be becoming more common.
Thanks for your consideration.

DreamingofSunshine Thu 30-May-19 10:26:42

I think it's important for this section to be separate. It's a safe space for those who might be struggling with having one.

BooseysMom Thu 30-May-19 19:24:18

@DreamingofSunshine.. Thank you. I do too think it should be separate. MN haven't replied here so we'll have to see what happens I guess hmm

tabouleh Mon 03-Jun-19 23:14:33

I think this is a terrible idea.

I’ve seen posts in chat and AIBU about only children and they can be horrific.

This specific topic is a place of support for women who find themselves with one child by choice or NOT by choice. A place to feel normal. A place to grieve what may have been. A place to discuss the ‘just the one’ ‘why do you only have one’ ‘when are you having another’ comments. A place to sometimes feel thankful for the simplicity of one.

I’ve lurked on this board now for 8+ years. If I come to this board it means I don’t have to see problems about families (with what I so desperately wished for) with 2 DC.

Mumsnet will be a hugely inferior space if you merge this board into parenting.

Please consider sign posting this board from Parenting but please do not subsume it.

Helbelle17 Fri 21-Jun-19 21:52:17

I agree. I'm struggling with having an only child. This board is a place of safety for me. I don't want to be confronted by threads where people have more than one. I know it sounds very selfish, and not very nice, but I need somewhere I can go and know I'm not alone.

MrsTumbletap Tue 13-Aug-19 15:52:21

This needs to be a stand alone place for parents in the same boat, is it just going to be lost by merging it? @MichaelMumsnet

armsandtheman Wed 14-Aug-19 23:19:47

I'd hate to see this board vanish. It helped me hugely as I made my decision to be one and done. Please keep it separate

Amp52 Tue 20-Aug-19 17:05:39

I have a 3 year old and hes asking where his dad is but his dad hasn't ever been in his life.I dont know what to say to him and its upsetting me

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »