Talk

Advanced search

Should I sell / give away all my baby things?

(12 Posts)
Aria2015 Sat 10-Feb-18 11:00:20

I have one lo. I couldn’t love him more and I’ve adored being a Mum. In fact, I’ve found it easier and more enjoyable than most my friends.

It boggles my mind, given how much I love motherhood, why I don’t want any more but for some reason I just don’t. I’m open minded to changing my mind but he’s nearly 3 and so far nothing...

I do feel pressure to have another but I do believe the only reason to bring another life into the world should be because you want to and not just because you bow to pressure.

I’m desperate to feel confident in my decision and just enjoy what I have without weighing up pros and cons in my mind every other day!

I’ve kept all lo’s baby stuff in case we have another but I’m wondering if I should bite the bullet and get rid of it? The only thing holding me back is the thought of the money it would cost to replace if I did change my mind but I’m wondering if I did get rid of it, would it help me feel more definite about my choice and feel more at peace?

Anyone got rid of everything and felt better for it?

justanotheruser18 Mon 12-Feb-18 07:47:13

Same.

100% agree that the only reason to bring a child into the world is because you want him/her, not because you want a pal for your first born.

I recently sold some baby bits (and my child is quite a lot younger than yours) and I didn't feel sentimental about it.

You'll know what's right.

Rockandrollwithit Mon 12-Feb-18 07:51:30

You don't sound completely sure...

I'm getting rid of baby bits at the moment as my second is five months old and outgrowing things. I don't feel conflicted or sentimental about it at all, I am 100% sure that I am done.

Aria2015 Mon 12-Feb-18 21:47:23

Thanks for the replies. I'm not 100% sure but if I found out tomorrow there was no way I could have any more children then I would feel relieved that there was no more deliberating and not feel sad. And if I found out tomorrow I was pregnant I would be pretty gutted but just make the best of it. That sort of indicates that I don't want another but, I know that people change their mind and I suppose it's that possibility that has me keeping everything. Hmmm, maybe I need to see how I feel in 6 months? I was just hoping there might be a quick fix to me feeling a bit more certain lol!

Buglife Mon 12-Feb-18 21:50:33

I felt great when I got rid of DS’s baby stuff, bought him new grown up toddler stuff for his room. He was just coming up to 3. Now he’s 3 and a half and I’m 19 weeks pregnant...

Aria2015 Mon 12-Feb-18 22:12:36

Eek Buglife! See! That's what I'm worried about! Lol! Congratulations! smile

Ritualunion Thu 05-Apr-18 07:44:40

I have a DS - even though I found babyhood tough, and head says stop at one - I think about having another. Still, this hasn’t stopped me from getting rid of stuff. I’m keeping hold of some bits but I’ve already sold the car seat and given away other stuff. I figure if I have another I could just buy it again, second hand if needs be.

Keepingupwiththejonesys Thu 05-Apr-18 07:58:13

Slightly different for me as I have three and I would actually love another....but we know its not the right thing for us to have another. Youngest is 13months and I've been giving away all stuff that's no longer used. Its made me feel a lot better actually as seeing it there almost made me feel there was that chance we would have one more. Now as I'm getting rid of the stuff its solidifying our decision to stick with the ones we have.

BikeRunSki Thu 05-Apr-18 08:03:22

When DS was 2 burg DH and I were adamant that we weren’t having another. I sold loads of stuff.

There are 3 yrs and 7 weeks between DS and Dd. And she was planned! We changed our minds and conceived very quickly!

Doublevodka Thu 05-Apr-18 08:11:17

My friends were 100% certain that they did not want a second child. They sold everything. 5 years later they really wanted another child. They are now TTC.

FuzzyPenguin Thu 05-Apr-18 08:13:02

Have always been sure that mine would be an only so as soon as he grew out of something, I sold or have if away.
There have been odd moments when I though about having another but my head knows that it’s a bad idea and the heart quickly catches up.

MonkeyPoke Thu 05-Apr-18 08:23:57

You can always buy more things if you change your mind.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: