Talk

Advanced search

Childrens dad works in Iraq and is refusing to pay maintenance.

(3 Posts)
user1496061820 Mon 29-May-17 14:02:05

Has anyone been in a situation where their ex works in a non EU country and is refusing to pay maintenance ? He works for an Iraq company, not a British one.

Or are there any families lawyers who can advise me what my chances would be perusing this ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

VimFuego101 Mon 29-May-17 14:17:20

Iraq is not a REMO country (where the U.K. has a reciprocal agreement with the country to recover child maintenance, according to this:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/reciprocal-enforcement-maintenance-orders-remos

So it might be tricky. Is it possible to open a case with CMS anyway so that the arrears at least accrue and he gets hit with them when he comes home?

user1496061820 Mon 29-May-17 14:42:55

Thanks VimFuego101 I do have a case open with CMS but because hes effectively left the country I dont think there is anything they can do.

He has done this before when we first split up in 2012, he went to Afghan and registered himself as a non-uk resident although now the law has changed slightly in terms of residency status and he does have a wife, 2 additional children and a house here .

Hes a control freak and hated the CMS, but is now loving the fact that there is nothing I can do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now