Advanced search

Planning a child

(4 Posts)
littlestgirlguide Fri 17-Aug-12 22:23:12

As a teacher, you would be able to take 12 months maternity leave, of which the first 6 would be on full pay, then 3 months at statutory maternity pay rate (approx £115 a week) then 3 months unpaid.
With both your teachers salary and your partners full time salary, you would not qualify for any other benefits than child benefit, you would be earning too much for any tax credits. If one of you wasn't working you may qualify for child tax credits and/or working tax credits depending on your income. Look at for more details.

BonkeyMollocks Sun 01-Jul-12 21:41:28

You would get maternity leave paid for 9months and you can choose to have a extra 3 months unpaid.

Child tax credits you would get.

Working tax credits depend on your income and hours worked.

Depending on if you fall into the lower income category you may get extra things such as free nhs perscriptions/dentist etc.

TripleRock Sun 01-Jul-12 21:36:54

You can apply for child tax credits, but it would depend on your husbands income as to whether or not you would qualify.

As far as I know you can only qualify for other benefits if you are on a low income.

Emsey83 Sat 30-Jun-12 14:44:50

I am not sure if this is the right thread to place my question in. I am currently a teacher, but my husband and I are planning a baby. Ideally I would like to take a break from work to spend with our baby. My question is, if I were to do this and my wage would go, what benefits/support can we get? Obviously there is child benefit at £20, but what else. Not ever claiming benefits I haven't a clue what is out there and would really welcome some help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now