Talk

Advanced search

What to do when changing nursery?

(7 Posts)
MrsDoolittle Sun 10-Jul-05 15:30:06

This is a long one.
We are having to change nurseries because we are moving. At the end of August we are going away for a month, tag that onto the nursery closure for the last two weeks of August and dd is out in total for 5, nearly 6, weeks. Nearly 4 of which we will be paying for.
My question is this. Should I take dd out of nursery in August and give notice? Then she would start in her new nursery as soon as we come back from hols.
Or would it be better to wait until our planned move in November? That way of course dd would go back into the nursery she knows.
But we will have paid for 4 weeks when she is not there!!

PrettyCandles Sun 10-Jul-05 15:34:59

How old is your dd, and how easily does she join in with groups? If she's old enough to understand forthcoming changes and to cope with them easily, then I would say do whatever is more convenient for you. Otherwise, I'd say to keep her at the nursery she knows and only to move her at the last moment.

You say "planned move" - is there any chance that it won't happen? In which case moving your dd early might be a bad idea. How much notice do you have to give the nursery? And how can you ensure having the new nursery place at the time that you will need it?

MrsDoolittle Sun 10-Jul-05 16:17:34

Thank you PrettyCandles.
She is 15 months now. She has been at full-time nursery since she was 6 months old. So far she is a confident, vocal little girl.

We are moving because we have to, the new nursery will be a mile away from dh's work. At the moment nursery is near home but 35 miles from where we both work. We are moving close to dh' work, to cut out one of the commutes.
Also I am pregnant. I am intending only to keep at nursery full-time until I'm on maternity leave (about 6 months).

LIZS Sun 10-Jul-05 16:32:05

I'd start afresh after the break and save the money, as long as the period between when you return and move won't involve any overly complicated travel arrangements.

MrsDoolittle Sun 10-Jul-05 16:33:53

Thanks LIZS. It will only involve ddd commuting with dd to work for about 5 weeks.

PrettyCandles Sun 10-Jul-05 21:04:51

Under these circumstances I agree with LIZS. If you can afford it I think it would be a good idea to keep your dd at nursery part-time throughout your maternity leave. It will give you a break, and also give her some continuity in a time of unavoidable upheaval once the baby arrives.

MrsDoolittle Sun 10-Jul-05 22:38:54

Thanks. It is my intention to keep dd at nursery part-time for the reasons you have said.
I think I'll give the new nursery a bell tomorrow.
Thank you for your help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: