Talk

Advanced search

Private nursery, closed over Christmas?

(24 Posts)
teagenie Sat 02-Jan-10 13:39:50

Hi everyone, im new here but i wanted to ask you all something regarding my DS's nursery.

He goes to a private nursery 2 full days a week while i work and its closed from 24 December till 5th January, thing is i still have to pay my FULL months fees even though its closed!!

I work in pharmacy therefore have to work over the festive period so need to find alternative child care for my son, but feel aggrieved that im paying ALOT of money for a nursery thats closed!!!

Has anyone encountered this? Am i being silly to be annoyed???

Thanks for any feedback.

MarineIguana Sat 02-Jan-10 13:44:05

Yes ours closes for a similar period, and I know not all of them do, so it is a pain. Luckily we can take time off too. Also I accept it because I love the nursery and think it's better than most.

If they told you this when you joined, it's fair enough. Very annoying if you didn't realise though.

LowLevelBahHumbug Sat 02-Jan-10 13:44:24

Our private nursery is closed for two weeks over Christmas but we don't pay for that time. I suppose it must be accounted for in the pricing structure. I don't blame you for feeling peeved!

preggersplayspop Sat 02-Jan-10 13:46:25

Mine is the same, they say the fees are worked out to take this closure into account and it was pretty clear in the terms and conditions when we started there. I think its fair enough that the staff should have a decent break. Must be a bit of a pain if you can't get the time off yourself though.

moomaa Sat 02-Jan-10 13:47:26

If you didn't pay it now they would just put their fees up over the rest of the year so that you pay it anyway so no point getting cross.

I have been surprised how many of my friend's nurseries have closed over the Christmas period when they have still had to go to work. I assumed they would all be open except bank holidays. I guess you just have to take these things into account when you choose which one to use.

bonkerz Sat 02-Jan-10 13:50:00

the nursery i work at is open 51 weeks a year........the only week we are closed is the week between christmas and new year, we also work right up till 6pm christmas eve!
parents do pay for the week we are closed and we get paid.......agree it must be a pain for the parents but its one week out of 52!

SleighGirl Sat 02-Jan-10 13:50:51

I don't know of any nurseries that are open between Christmas and new year.

Some nurseries change a monthly fee regardless of bank holidays and prearranged closures. Some charge for the days you are booked to use but not for days they are shut - so if you have every monday you don't pay for bank holidays when they are shut. Definately something to look at if you are not using the nursery 4 or 5 days per week!

MrsDinky Sat 02-Jan-10 13:51:11

Mine does it too, but it says so in their literature, and also they average the cost over 12 months. I guess it is the only time they can get in and do redecorating etc easily too. I can see why it would be annoying if you have to work though, but nothing compared with school holidays, that's when the fun really starts.

MeMyselfAndIt Sat 02-Jan-10 13:53:59

Ours is open, it was only closed for xmas day, boxing day bank holiday monday and new years day has been open for the rest though.

teagenie Sat 02-Jan-10 14:01:13

Thanks for all the replies!!!

I had my son at a different private nursery before we moved to where we live and it only closed Christmas day and New years day so this is a surprise for me now!!

Its a great nursery and does breakfast club, after school care for school age children which ill need when DS starts school in August. They also have a mini bus and take the kids to school and pick them up from school as well so when i weigh all that up, i suppose being closed over Christmas isnt too bad............!!

Northernlebkuchen Sat 02-Jan-10 14:09:17

Ours closes - which I have no problem with at all - they need a holiday too! They only charge 1/2 fees for the closed days though which seems very fair. I can see why you're upset at paying full fees tbh.

biggirlsdontcry Sat 02-Jan-10 14:18:56

my dd preschool closed dec 22nd until 7th jan & we also had to pay full fees , which we only received a letter a week before they closed telling us the money had to be fully paid by the 22nd dec shock , pita tbh

DoesntTheTurkeyDragOn Sat 02-Jan-10 14:30:45

IIRC, the nursery I used charged half fees for the time they were shut over Christmas. This was averaged out over the year though so you paid the same each month. They do still have to pay staff/premises costs so it is not unreasonable really - one way or another you would be charged for that time.

ad77 Tue 07-Dec-10 22:58:47

Hi, its that time of year again I guess, I’m in the same situation. 2 weeks off during the Christmas and new year week. However, the nursery has demanded more money. We are thinking of leaving the nursery before the Christmas and new year week, they have also verbally stated that we are under contract and me must pay.

If we do leave, can they still charge us for the Christmas period or even worse can they take us to court??

No price list has been given until today.

Barbeasty Wed 08-Dec-10 21:46:47

The nursery we are using is closed for Christmas week. They charge for 51 weeks per year, divided by 12 so each month the fee is the same.

cat64 Wed 08-Dec-10 21:52:30

Message withdrawn

pollywollyhadadollycalledmolly Fri 10-Dec-10 22:03:24

Hiya,

my Dd has been in 2 private nurseries and they both closed for xmas, two week period, and we still had to pay. When it was a bit rubbish as i still had to find alternative childcare, which may needed to of been paid for if i didnt have lots of family and friends keen to have my DD. I worked in retail so there was no way i cld take time off.

I am now a childminder and dont close as much as that as i know what its like lol

purepurple Sat 11-Dec-10 08:41:12

Does the nursery have a suggestion box or send out parent questionaires?
If the nursery knew that parents felt this strongly about the nursery being closed then they may reconsider their policy.

frasersmummy Sat 11-Dec-10 08:44:36

We were really lucky with our nursery .. they only closed on the statutory days ie the 25 and 26 and the 1 and 2.

I know a lot do close..

mylifewithmangers Sat 11-Dec-10 08:48:45

As Barbeasty said, are you sure they haven't just averaged the cost over 12 months, so each months fees are the same (but Xmas isn't actually charged)?

PrivetDancer Sat 11-Dec-10 08:53:17

Ours closes between Christmas and new yrar, we don't have to pay for the days they are voluntarily closed but we do pay for the bank holidays.

onimolap Sat 11-Dec-10 08:55:08

I've used two nurseries:

a) open 49 weeks: we paid in 4 weekly installments, which were lengthened to 5 weeks when they straddled a closure.

b) open 51 weeks: worked out an annual fee based on the 51 weeks then divided it by 12 for an even monthly fee through the whole year.

Sounds like you're in a type b) nursery. (Have to say I preferred type a) though).

NorthernLurker Sat 11-Dec-10 08:55:23

Mine closes on Dec 23rd and opens on Jan4th. We pay half fees for that time and all year round we pay for the days we actually have in the month - so some months are more than others but at least you pay for what you have - you can book holidays at 1/2 price too. I think that's fair enough - the staff need a holiday too and very few parents need the nursery care at that time. This is all clearly set out when you sign up - I think it's terrible that some of you have only heard about it now!

mylittlemonkey Sat 18-Dec-10 17:03:58

I agree it is VERY annoying that we have to pay fees over xmas even though the nursery is closed. Mine is also closed over xmas but DH is off so can look after DS. We will have to book time off in advance for next year to make sure one of us is off to look after DS same time next year as cant afford to pay tiwce like you are saying. My nursery does give 50% discount off fees for that week though.

Incidently, just read onimolap's post - my nursery works out monthly fee based on 52 weeks and divides by 12 despite only being open for 51 weeks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now