Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does you ds/dd nursery have air conditioning?

(11 Posts)
grumpyfrumpy Tue 21-Jun-05 15:44:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

otto Tue 21-Jun-05 15:47:01

At ds's nursery they have a blow fan on the wall in the baby room and they keep all the windows open. It always feels cool.

sandyballs Tue 21-Jun-05 15:47:39

No - it's not hot enough for long enough in this country for them to justify the cost I would have thought. Doesn't seem to bother my two to be honest. As long as the staff give out lots of drinks I don't think there is much you can do.

Fran1 Tue 21-Jun-05 15:50:57

The nursery i used to work in does now have air con.

The first year we were open we didn't and it was hell!

Basically we stripped all children down to nappies/underwear. Hung canopies all accross the garden and spent as much time out there as we could. Playing with water and eating homemade ice lollies!

Also bought a zillion battery operated mini fans to clip to the cots and beds whilst the children were sleeping and another zillion electric ones dotted all over the place.

The owners quickly realised we needed air con the following year!

Even though our summers don't last long, the cost can be justified with the fact that you are providing a quality environment for the children.

HandbagAddiction Tue 21-Jun-05 16:02:07

dd's nursery does not have air conditioning. They use fans in the sleep room / have blinds that are always shut which keeps the sun out and leave all the windows open.

In their home rooms, they monitor the temparatures each day and strip all the children down to nappies and provide lots of water. Where possible they also open as many doors to the playground and windows as they can.

Unless you also have air conditioning at home, the babies and children will cope with the heat....it's just more difficult in the UK as we have so few really hot days that none of us ever really gets used to it! Hope that makes sense!

basketcase Tue 21-Jun-05 16:04:36

My two go to a playgroup and like many it is held in the local village hall. the idea of air con is laughable. Lucky to have flushing toilets! They just have to cope without it. No fans for H and S reasons, back dooropen with baby gate. Jugs of water for the chidlren to drink at any point, windows open, curtains drawn, plenty of time outside etc. with sun hats.

My concern about child care and summer is sun tan lotion. We have to put ours on the children before they go and the staff will not/are not allowed (not sure which) to put it on the children. Not even if you send them in with it and their name on - they say they don’t have the time to do all the children. Upsets me as DD1 is so very fair, putting sun lotion on at 8.30am and expecting it to be still effective at 11.30am is crazy. She has come home rather pink on several occasions. I kept her home yesterday as it was too hot and I knew she would burn

Fran1 Tue 21-Jun-05 16:30:59

But HandbagAddiction, at home you don't have up to 30 children running around in the same room!

and basketcase, at least the heat in your playgroup is only for a couple of hours, you may feel different if your child was there 8-6?

Suncream is an odd one. We always used to help the children put it on, i don't understand why so many places refuse now? We asked all the parents to clearly label the bottles so no risk of putting wrong one on wrong child. And many children were able to put some of it on themselves anyway.

basketcase Tue 21-Jun-05 16:41:14

Fran1 - you are right, I probably would feel differently if it were for a full day instead of 3 hours. Still, a small child can over heat in much less than three hours.
There is a law about working conditions and temperatures that employers are obliged to listen to if I remember rightly as a teacher. I know that our school had an issue with cold at one point and the science dept. refused to teach in the caravan type classrooms when the temp. dropped below a certain point and the union backed them. I am sure it is the same for heat. Wonder if the staff can insist on air con. if temp is getting too high? I know we are thinking of it from the child’s point of view, but for the staff it must be horrible too and if emplyment law can be sued to help improve conditions for the children too, then great. Maybe there is something about health and safety for the children too? If there isn’t, there should be.

basketcase Tue 21-Jun-05 16:41:59

meant "used" not "sued" - not suggesting any nursery staff sue anyone just yet!

Fran1 Tue 21-Jun-05 23:54:29

I am not sure on the legal stuff,

but if not already i think there should most definitely be a maximum temp allowed in nurseries and schools. And i'm not just talking dangerous temps, the max should be a comfortable temp.
Then these nurseries have no excuse!

I have sympathy for playgroups because its not normally their premises and most certainly wouldn't have funds to do so. What grounds for h&s will they not use fans? I know in the one year we used them there were concerns for the germs floating around, but we weighed up the pros and cons and made an executive decision!

But private nurseries may not be flush with money, but most certainly should be able to fork out for something as important as air con. Not saying all nurseries should have it, but those with buildings impossible to keep cool should.

grumpyfrumpy Wed 22-Jun-05 12:07:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now