Talk

Advanced search

I knew it was like this for weddings, but for Nursery places ...

(8 Posts)
FifiForgot Thu 29-Oct-09 16:56:15

I picked DD up from Nursery yesterday and bumped into the manager. We were chatting and mentioned that No 2 (due in January) would be needing a place in December 2010. I was told that they have a waiting list for next year (8 names for 6 places). I was gobsmacked! I mean, I know that it can be like this for weddings, but for nursery places?!

So I've had to register our, as yet, un-named and more importantly, un-born, baby for a place in Nursery without having a clue about how many days I will need. To be fair, it is a fab nursery and also quite small - only 26 places in total, but I am still totally shocked!

I suppose I had better get on and sort everything else out now!

Northernlurker Thu 29-Oct-09 16:59:14

I registered dd3 for nursery after my 12 week scan - 18 months in advance of when the place was needed but I liked the nursery and I wanted to be sure of having a place. I was the most in advance booking they had ever taken though.....you with your mere 13 months notice seems very slack to me! grin

llaregguBOO Thu 29-Oct-09 17:06:41

Pretty standard around here. Pretty bonkers really. Next we'll be registering places as soon as we start taking folic acid.

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Thu 29-Oct-09 17:12:22

Yes, at DD's nursery you have to register before you're about 5 months pregnant if you don't have a child at the nursery already (they have a sibling preference policy, so you have a little more time if the baby's elder sibling already attends).

When I was dropping DD off a couple of months ago there was a couple looking around who weren't even pregnant yet... shock

DeathbySummerfruit Thu 29-Oct-09 17:13:23

I registered my dd when she was 1 month old, and it was more than two years ago, and she is now 2.6 !

NorktasticNinja Thu 29-Oct-09 17:29:28

Yup, I'm afraid it's pretty common. I had DS registered from 20 weeks into the pregnancy for a place (one day a week) starting when he is six months old.

We were late registering DD (waited until she was born shock). I wanted her to go on a monday but had to wait 18 months for a monday place.

FifiForgot Thu 29-Oct-09 19:30:33

I suppose what really shocked me was that I didn't even visit the nursery until DD was 7 months old and had no problems getting her a place. I hadn't even begun to think about what we were going to do in January 2011 (when I go back to work, or rather IF I go back to work). I still haven't really got my mind round it so have just booked the same days as DD. It does look a bit odd though - under name of child is To Be Agreed!

Oh well, I suppose having a place and not needing it is better than needing a place and not having one!

cookielove Thu 29-Oct-09 20:18:38

we have lots of children on are waiting list, that aren't born yet, we roughly say about a year wait, but can be longer and can be shorter. We have had parents hand in an application form with a letter attached, saying that they were thinking about trying to concieve a child in the coming year, and they would like to reserve a place when they needed it!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now