Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about Montessori

(4 Posts)
NecromancyRocks Wed 21-Oct-09 12:15:00

What's the theory? Are these nurseries to be recommended? Any thoughts welcome! Thanks.

CocoK Wed 21-Oct-09 15:45:52

The theory is (very basically) that kids are natural learners and that they learn best through play. They are encouraged to be independent, i.e. to select their own activities and put them away, to engage with nature, and explore music and art. There is no hocus pocus underlying the theory, as with Steiner - the two are often lumped together but I think this can be misleading.

We've used a Montessori nursery for over two years now and think it is a great way for kids to learn and develop. Make sure if you go for one to check the teachers' qualifications - some nurseries claim to be M when in fact only one or two senior staff members are fully qualified. You can read more here.

NecromancyRocks Thu 22-Oct-09 13:06:00

Thanks - definitely food for thought!

NannyBeth Fri 23-Oct-09 20:17:00

I studied it at Uni last yr (Early Childhood Teaching Degree). The theory behind it is really really good, but to be honest after looking at the practice, I didn't think it was all that great... I suppose it depends on your own beliefs etc.

The one thing that I really took away was that they have a graded system of toys, and a carer has to sit down with a child/children and show them "how to play" with the next level of toy up before they are allowed free reign with it. It seems really destructive to their imagination to be told how to play with something before you let them experiment with it themselves!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now