Talk

Advanced search

bad behaviour after pre-school

(7 Posts)
kingfix Wed 30-Sep-09 15:33:22

Friends and family are divided over whether this is (a)entirely to be expected and will pass and or (b) a sign somethign's wrong and we should take her out. So what have been your experiences?
I've moved DD aged 3 from nursery, where she's always been happy, to the local pre-school in the hope that it will prepare her for school and let her get to know some of the children who'll be in her class.
Since starting there her behaviour at home has nose-dived and she has started shouting, hitting and talking back.
So, what do youu think? Take her out or stick with it? (NB am secretly hoping you will reinforce my gut decision to clutch her to my bosom and never darken their doors again, but please feel free to tell me i am over reacting)

rubyslippers Wed 30-Sep-09 15:34:53

over tired?

changing familiar surroundings can have an effect

kingfix Wed 30-Sep-09 15:46:16

thanks yes tiredness must be part of it she came home today, screamed for 2 hours and has now fallen asleep in a tearful sweaty heap. not looking forward to tomorrow

MrsSantosisafeminist Wed 30-Sep-09 16:08:32

Talk to the preschool - how is she settling in? What's her behaviour like there? What's it like. Ours is good but small and very busy. Chat to other parents about their kids' behaviour. You can also talk to your DD - 3 is not too young to ask if she has a friend there, what she likes best. Her behaviour may be a way of alerting you to a problem or it may be a reaction to a not unwelcome change. My DD has gained a lot from being at a preschool which feeds into the local primary and, though I have had some reservations, we have stuck at it. DD used to be a bit unbearable after being "cooped up" so I always tried to squeeze in a trip to the park, time in the garden or at least a walk home (1/2 mile maybe) to burn off some of the energy. Plus I took a reasonable snack (banana, raisins) for some extra energy.

rachels103 Wed 30-Sep-09 16:13:01

This sounds like I could have written it. No advice I'm afraid but will watch with interest.
I'm putting my ds's dreadful behaviour after pre-school down to tiredness and over excitement at the moment as well as acting out over our new baby, but I am a little concerned and may have a chat about how his behaviour is whilst he's there.
I don't think I can stand much more of his defiance and cheekiness though...

kingfix Wed 30-Sep-09 19:01:11

Rachels, so you too, huh? Lots of the other parents at pre-school seem to be finding the same and regard it as a normal part of going. It's driving me nuts though and if she has to go through this as part of growing up I'd rather wait another year until school when we have to do it. I'm giving it until half term...

hairtwiddler Wed 30-Sep-09 19:05:14

I just did the same with DD, mainly because I could take maternity leave around the same time as pre-school started, and it seemed to make sense.
She's seriously overtired and behaviour worse at the end of the day. It's mostly being hyperactive and 'forgetting' to go to the toilet.
Agree have a word with her and the staff to try to figure out how she's settling. DD says she plays with 'nobody' but then seems to know all the names and will talk to other kids while waiting to go in for the afternoon...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now