Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

SENCO observed2 yr old ds -concerns

(9 Posts)
kissyfurschaos Sat 26-Sep-09 19:33:47

Hi
DS started nursery 4 weeks ago and I was asked into the office Thurs. They were concerned over his 'erratic behaviour.'
He runs around all the time (I know that is form for 2 year olds but he literally never stops), his concentration is poor, he doesn't talk etc...
Senco observed him and in that short space he had poured water on floor, kept putting his dummy in sand, was trying to push the pet snails tank over.
He is too young for an IEP so is going to have the equivilant for his age. As he attends speech therapy they will keep the same targets. Oh the shame he is only just 2!
Anyone experienced similar or have advice pplease. Feel such a rubbish mummy.

CybilLiberty Sat 26-Sep-09 19:35:32

Aged 2?? I find this intervention a little over the top for a young toddler who is new in a setting...and look at the outcome, you feel guilty. i think you should tell them they are over analysing somewhat

lou031205 Sat 26-Sep-09 20:17:22

Go with it. If he has a real issue, it is great it's picked up early. If not, he will miraculously improve! DD1 started preschool at 2.6 for 6 weeks, then had summer break. 2 weeks into the new term the staff asked to get her observed. She has SN, it turns out. I am so grateful for the 1:1 she receives, the help, etc. Much better than being branded 'naughty'.

daisy71 Sat 26-Sep-09 22:22:51

Hugs, as I appreciate you're worried, but you've no need to feel shame! It's great that your nursery are on the ball enough to pick up on potential problems. It may turn out to be settling in issues, or just normal 2 year old behaviour, but pls don't feel like a rubbish Mummy. I agree with lou.

FairyMum Sat 26-Sep-09 22:27:09

I wonder why a speech therapist is involved with a 2 year-old?

kissyfurschaos Sat 26-Sep-09 23:53:47

thanks.
just feel like it's my fault and feel sad that this may be the beginning of a difficult school journey for himn if he does have problems. I guess all I can do is my best to support him and take it from there.
Speech therapist involved because I asked my health visitor for a referal at 18 months. He was assesed and asked to come back at 2. Now he is two and there is no improvement we have been allocated monthly speech therapy.

nurseryvoice Sun 27-Sep-09 14:22:41

Try and stay positive. Its good that the nursery have noticed and have arranged something. Sometimes speech is very relevant to sen problems. time after time if a child has behavourial or sen issues then speech is missing/limited.
It may be something but it may be nothing. hes only 2 and a lot of 2 year olds have late speech development.

Danthe4th Sun 27-Sep-09 19:14:26

Whys he got a dummy and also involved with a speech therapist at 2. Why have you not been told to ditch the dummy if you are concerned about his speech.I would be pleased that he is getting any support he may or may not need, just go with it and take on board all the advice.

babbi Sun 27-Sep-09 20:33:38

Sorry you are feeling low . I am sure you are not a rubbish mummy !
If it makes you feel better I totally agree it is better to have early intervention and assistance (if it turns out it is not necessary then there is no harm done ) than to have no help when required.

My neighbours son is only finally being assessed ( he is now 5)his speech is that of my two year old niece , it turns out he has very poor hearing and they are not sure whatever other SN . He is struggling now as he has just started school and is not coping very well.
I am so sad for him as I (and DH) could clearly see at about 2.5 there was an issue of some sort. (Though obv we are not qualified but having children around of same age it was apparent that he was not thriving)

Regrettably he attended full time at a nursery that quite frankly I would not leave a dead cat in and therefore somehow incredibly nothing was acted upon until now when the school raised concerns within 2 days.

So please accept their assistance it may help your child...... assuming of course that he needs it - better to over act than not act IYSWIM ..
Hope you feel better soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now