Talk

Advanced search

Weekend diary

(5 Posts)
BornToFolk Thu 03-Sep-09 19:21:36

I picked DS (22 months) up from nursery today and was handed a notebook with a request to "fill it in" and add photos.
I presume I'm meant to write about his weekend but in what detail?

I know I should have asked at nursery but I was in a rush to get home and didn't give it much thought until DS was in bed.

Does anyone else's nursery do it? What do you write?

kateGB Thu 03-Sep-09 21:05:45

I think it is part of the early learning curriculum. Our nursery said when dd2 started that they have sheets available to fill in if we do anything out of the ordinary (??!) over a weekend so they can talk about it and it goes in her development folder. As DD2 is 20 months old I think it is a bit pointless. The preschoolers have the forms near the door and it makes a bit more sense for them as they can do a sort of show and tell.

In toddlers they have / had a doll each kid takes home for the weekend and you have to fill in the dolls diary and stick a piture in. Some of the entries were very funny !Obviusly written by parents for other parents to read!

At 22 months I would just put in a highlight that he might remember.

If nothing else it will make you actually have to do something in order to put something in the book!

Perhaps some sticking then at least he can take something into nursery.

It does feel a bit like having to do homework though!

BornToFolk Fri 04-Sep-09 12:41:12

I hadn't really thought about the developmental stuff but I suppose it makes sense that if he does somthing new at home I let nursery know so they can build on it.
We're going to ride on some miniature steam trains this weekend so I've definitely got something to write about. I might write in his new words too. Thanks Kate!

Bettymum Fri 04-Sep-09 13:33:45

Our nursery has a monthly sheet that you hand in at the end of each month. I write in the things that we do at the weekends - even if it's only going to feed the ducks or to see granny and grandad. I look on it as something that I'd like to look back on in years to come, so I always put DD's new words on it, and what her favourite games are at the time - that kind of thing - so that I can remember what she was doing when. DD is 19 months.

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Fri 04-Sep-09 13:42:34

When I worked in the nursery - room leader of 1-2's we had a diary for the childrenand parents were encouraged to use it to let us know things ie if Daddy was going away on bussiness so we could keep an eye on the child, if the child had started potty training.

So we would get little messages to read the next time they came in saying - Maximus had a busy weekend this weekend so may be tired today Or Fenella sat on the potty at Friday batime and did a wee! can you encourage this at nursery. It's Granny's birthday tomorrow can you make a card.Some people gave us essays that was fine too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now