Talk

Advanced search

Childcare for one day a week? Best option?

(17 Posts)
Alittlebitrestless Fri 14-Aug-09 05:16:03

I am due to return to work for one day a week. (I am a teacher and just want to keep my hand in). A family member is able to look after my ds for the first few months and then I will need to find childcare when he is about 18 months old.

We have looked into finding a child minder and found it difficult to find someone. I have been to see several nurseries and found one I like. However I am worrying that this will be hard for my ds to cope with for just one day a week?

Has anyone got any experience to share? What have other people done when they have needed child care for such a short amount of time per week?

(I have posted this in the childminders section as well)

Many thanks

Lilybunny Fri 14-Aug-09 05:34:54

My daughter goes to nursery for two days a week and it has worked out really well. Children are so adaptable and once they are familiar with a particular environment most don't seem to have any difficulty in settling. He might enjoy some of the things on offer at the nursery, particularly as he will be toddling by then. See if your nursery offers a settling in period so that you can spend some time at the nursery with your lo. It might reassure you about how he will be while you are away.

Alittlebitrestless Fri 14-Aug-09 05:41:35

Thank you Lilybunny. It is great to hear other people's experiences. I think that working one day a week will be good for me (have no family nearby and find some parts of maternity leave a bit lonely) but am just so worried about doing the right thing for my ds.

purepurple Fri 14-Aug-09 07:17:00

I work in a nursery and at the momment, a few children do just one day a week, as parents have cut their days due to the recession.
They seem to cope fine.

Alittlebitrestless Fri 14-Aug-09 07:36:32

Thank you, purepurple. It is good to have different perspectives.

nurseryvoice Fri 14-Aug-09 14:30:37

There might be a longer settling in as a week is a long time, so each week it will be like starting all over again,as long as you are prepared for that, he will be fine.
As the other poster said some people dropped to one day, but that was after they had settled in.
It might be an idea in the run up to starting to to do a couple of half days for a few weeks, just a thought.

izyboy Fri 14-Aug-09 14:36:44

My son went 1 day a week no problems and enjoyed it.

2girls2love Fri 14-Aug-09 14:42:16

DD1 went to nursery 1 day a week and then 2 days with Grandma, am planning the same for DD2 8 months when I go back to work in Nov.

DD1 had no problems at all with doing only 1 day, I think it helped that nursery was very flexible when it came to adding extra days so she could go to the Christmas party etc. That way she wasn't missing out.

PuppyMonkey Fri 14-Aug-09 15:00:11

DD2 has been going to nursery one day a week for nearly a year now, she is 2.4 now. She loves it and sees it as her special day out... has made lots of friends. It's a treat for her. It is a lovely nursery though, I'm very lucky to have it so close by!

The good thing is that I am officially booked in for one day only - but they are v.flexible so if I need an extra day here and there or need to swap from Fri to Mon, they are able to accommodate me usually. I think your ds will love it!

Scarfmaker Fri 14-Aug-09 15:53:33

One of my parents has been searching for one day at a nursery for her 2 and a half year old but the minimum number of days some nurseries offer is two. So bear this in mind when asking questions at a nursery.

Pinkjenny Fri 14-Aug-09 15:55:29

I would love to drop my hours and have dd at nursery just one day a week, but my nursery have a minimum requirement of two.

Woooozle100 Fri 14-Aug-09 16:01:09

my ds goes just one day a week. Started around 19 mths

has settled in grand. Ran in on his own leaving dh at the door t'other day

did struggle finding somewhere that would take him just for 1 day - most seemed to have min of 2 days

nappyaddict Fri 14-Aug-09 16:12:15

If your nursery offers it then it will be fine but some won't let you do just 1 day a week.

Alittlebitrestless Fri 14-Aug-09 19:37:45

Thank you all so much. Am feeling much better about the whole thing.Good to hear so many positive views. The nursery I loved had a minimum of two days. Fortunately we have found one that seems just as good which will allow children to attend for one day only.

nurseryvoice- I think that is a good idea. Have already talked to my husband about him taking some time off so that ds can do some half days to begin with.

micramummy Fri 14-Aug-09 19:41:53

lots of nurserys isist on atleast 2days a week I think but I would reccommend a nursery anyhow because there should be alot more stimulation and opportunity to make friends etc, also they dont go on holiday etc which is a pain with childminders, ofcourse they need a holiday but its a tricky one if they go off for 2 weeks or more

chelle2811 Mon 31-Aug-09 22:25:43

im trying to get my daughter into nursery, only wanted one day a weekbut minimum here is two!! she really needs nursery as she sees all the same faces everyday and is overwhelmed and a little frightened by new faces...she has also got really shy, im hoping nursery will give her a confidence boost...what do you think???

danthe4th Fri 04-Sep-09 23:18:55

To be fair to childminders some of us offer term time only contracts for teachers as we have children ourselves in school so can't take our holidays in term time and personally I don't charge a retainer for the holiday period whereas with a nursery you may have to pay for 50 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now