Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Right age to go to nursery?

(5 Posts)
onelittletreasure Tue 04-Aug-09 19:58:33

My DD is 19 months old. I am not currently working and therefore have no real need to send her to nursery. (I love her company too!) We are about to move to somewhere with a Montessori and I am off to look at it next week with a view to putting her in a couple of days a week.

My mum, however, says that she is too young and we should wait till she is 3. I've heard of waiting till 2.

Any views???

thisisyesterday Tue 04-Aug-09 20:01:13

think it depends on the child tbh, and often you don' really know until you send them!

i wouldn't have sent either of my older ones at 19 months personally, partly because they're still really too small to be able to telll you if they don';t like it there!
ds1 started at 2yrs 9 months and hated it so we took him out until he was 3.5

ds2 is 20 months and will prob start next sept when he is almost 3, but we'll see.

no harm at all in going along and seeing what you think. most montessori nurseries i knw about are lovely places.
you know your little girl best, so do what you think is right for you

bratley Tue 04-Aug-09 20:17:27

My DS starts nursery on thursday, he turned 2 yesterday.
I think he's ready for it, he's really excited about going and I can't wait either! grin
I know on Thursday night he's probably going to be a right pain cos he'll be thoroughly worn out but it'll all fit into place once he settles in.
I hope.
If not we'll have to have a rethink, we won't know unless we try it.
I think it just depends on each child, you know your little girl better than your mum, or anyone else, go along to the nursery and follow your instinct.

Rosebud05 Wed 05-Aug-09 22:11:06

Would agree that it depends on the child and also your practical and emotional situation, tbh. I do know children that have started before they're a year old as their parents had no choice and seem absolutely fine! Even if they can't verbally tell you if they like/don't like it, they'll definitely let you know through their behaviour.
No 'right' answer - go with your instincts and you can always change your mind.

theoptimist Sat 03-Oct-09 10:11:21

My two went to nursery from 6 months old as I had to work, so they knew no different. But, if your baby's used to being home with mum and family all day when they get to the age where they're generally more aware, more clingy and so on, then it's harder to introduce them until they're ready. Again, I have no choice with my 3rd, so it's a case of which is best, send her at 9 months or 1 year old.
I think if your LO is so used to being with you and is 19 months, all you can do is try her out and see how she gets on. Talk to other mums who use the same nursery so you're more comfortable with it and at 19 months, your LO will be able to let you know how she feels about it. I was lucky as mine talked full by then, so I could ask. But, if you LO is not talking, I'm sure there are other ways you can find out. If she's not happy and you're not happy then you can just take her out of it and carry on as you were. It wont do any harm to try as long as you know its a well respected nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now