Talk

Advanced search

Feeling guilty about bugs?

(7 Posts)
Jane7 Mon 03-Aug-09 10:17:42

Since ds has started nursery, he's had constant colds. I'm concerned it might be worse because he's only going one day a week so he's not being exposed to all these things every day and therefore building up an immunity. He has six days away from the nursery bags and then he goes back and catches another one. Is it madness to consider taking him out and swapping to a childminder just because of the bugs? Has anyone done that? Or do you think it really is true that a child that gets through all these things when they're this little, might get less ill when they start school. Sorry if I'm sounding a bit of a worry-wart, I just feel bad for inflicting all these illness on him just because nursery is a bit cheaper than childminder. Was going to up his days to two days a week in a few months time...

Mummywannabe Mon 03-Aug-09 11:23:31

How long has he been at nursery and how old is he. It is very usual for this to happen. You might find similiar at childminder as he will be mixing with lots of children anyway. Depending how long he has been there it might be worth sticking it out a bit longer. Is he otherwise happy?

MrsBadger Mon 03-Aug-09 11:47:56

yes very usual

I was told by colleagues with older children that it takes a year, and they were dead right, regardless of what age they go

so if they stayed at home with you till they started school at 4, they get all the bugs then...

Jane7 Mon 03-Aug-09 12:20:28

mummwannabe - my ds is 10 months and he's only been at nursery for about three weeks (he's had three bugs in that time!). He loves nursery except for this. I just find it difficult because I can see how snotty the other children are!
thanks mrs badger - i think i shld probably stick it out longer, i just wondered if i was making it worse by him only going to the nursery once a week.

MrsBadger Mon 03-Aug-09 12:33:00

probably doesn't make much different - dd was there full time and got one bug a week regardless - first a cold, then runny poos, then ears, then a cough etc etc

however she is now 2 and as sturdy as they come with only the odd minor sniffle, so she seems to have served her apprenticeship!

Mummywannabe Mon 03-Aug-09 19:30:12

sorry had to go out. In that case would stick it out a bit longer, takes about 6 months (ish) usually, this goes for staff too!

Good luck

wearymum200 Wed 19-Aug-09 21:45:14

It's miserable while it lasts, but they are being exposed to the local pool of germs, so assuming you don't move house before they start school. you are saving yourself a lot of missed days when they're a bit older.
DS1 now 3 started at just under 1 and I worked about 2 days of 1st 3 weeks (I do 3d a week), but it does get better. Hopefully, you'll get chickenpox done with nice and early too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now