Talk

Advanced search

Nursery food

(18 Posts)
London7 Wed 29-Jul-09 13:38:36

Hi, anyone can help me solve this? I am very happy with my DD's nursery but don't know what to do about my DD having her breakfast there. Their menu is fine but I don't understand why the kids have weetabix with milk for breakfast every day, every week. It is made so think, it hardly falls of the spoon, yuck. I try to give my DD breakfast before rushing off to nursery and work but because it is so early in the morning, she sometimes refuses to eat because she needs more time to wake up. My only other option is that I make her breakfast and take it to nursery but I am certain this is not possible for health and safety reasons. Anyone brings their own food to nursery? Thanks.

franklymydear Wed 29-Jul-09 13:41:07

what's wrong with weetabix and milk?

JennyWren Wed 29-Jul-09 13:44:37

IMO, weetabix is one of a range of great things for kids to have for breakfast - it isn't oversweetened, and is a good wholegrain source of carbohydrate to set them up for a busy day. Having said that, I do alternate it with porridge and (when they're a bit older) shreddies etc. You could suggest perhaps that they alternate with something like ready brek. The other thing I do is to mix fruit with it - a different choice each time - sometimes mashed banana, or grated apple/peach/pear, or raisins or chopped apricots - the list goes on grin

What would you prefer they offer? Possibly they are giving it to children as they arrive, so a single preparation of a hot meal isn't practical. I think that a lot of parents would object to having sweetened 'kids' cereals on offer. Could you just take in some fruit to add to the weetabix to vary things a bit?

BertieBotts Wed 29-Jul-09 13:47:07

I don't understand - surely as long as your DD likes the breakfast offered and it is nutritious, what is the problem? I wouldn't worry about whether you like it the way they make it or not, you don't have to eat it!

London7 Wed 29-Jul-09 15:16:41

There is absolutely nothing wrong with weetabix but - I want her to have a bit of variety and not have it EVERY single morning. Plus I wanted to bring in fruit puree or fruit for them to add it to it but they refused! My DD does not eat plain weetabix with milk sorry for not explaining it earlier.

rubyslippers Wed 29-Jul-09 15:20:59

DS's nursery offer three different cereals and toast

(plus fruit)

i think only offering one thing for breakfast is a little bit dull and also not ideal if LOs don't like it

PrincessToadstool Wed 29-Jul-09 15:22:56

My DS's nursery only offer weetabix or toast. I don't mind, but then he is only there three days a week.

Bit odd that they won't let you add some fruit to it but maybe they don't want to start a ruit among the babies?

PortAndLemon Wed 29-Jul-09 15:33:09

My DCs' nursery offer Weetabix, Rice Krispies, or... umm... my mind has gone completely blank, but it's another pretty healthy cereal option. Plus toast. And in the baby room they can opt for baby porridge instead if they like. I think it's good quite apart from giving them some variety as they like choosing each morning, even when pre-verbal. They don't offer fruit for breakfast, but have fruit as a mid-morning snack.

completelyabsolutely Wed 29-Jul-09 15:42:00

As an aside - they probably make it so thick precisely so that it doesn't fall off the spoon - much easier to eat when you have not quite mastered keeping the spoon horizontal all the way to your face grin

completelyabsolutely Wed 29-Jul-09 15:44:06

Oh and I meant to say - if your dd doesn't like it then surely there should be no problem with you taking in something else for her?

My nursery does not blend food so if your child needs food in smaller bits than chopped up then you have to provide the food so it is obviously not a problem for them to accept food from home.

FimbleHobbs Wed 29-Jul-09 16:00:58

Our nursery provides the same breakfast for all children but changes it every day, so they have different cereals, porridge, fruit, yoghurt, etc.

TBH I don't think it matters having the same thing for breakfast every day. Most adults do don't they?

They do have to cater for special dietary needs, I'd have thought not eating weetabix would count as a special dietary need?

Have you spoken to nursery about it and what did they say?

StrikeUpTheBand Sun 02-Aug-09 09:40:26

I have to say you're lucky as my DS nursery thinks cream crackers with a bit of jam on and some water is a suitable breakfast! They did Weetabix and other thins at his last place but toast and jam is the norm at his nursery now.

StrikeUpTheBand Sun 02-Aug-09 09:40:55

things

MrsBadger Sun 02-Aug-09 09:44:32

give her toast in the car?

if we have had a hellish morning and/or dd is unusually hungry I have no shame in sending her in clutching a piece of toast. No H&S issues have ever been raised.

purepurple Sun 02-Aug-09 16:50:46

OP
try asking the nursery
most nurseries are open to new ideas from parents
or ask them to give her something else once in a while

Rosebud05 Wed 05-Aug-09 22:14:16

If your dd consistently doesn't like weetabix and milk, surely the nursery should provide her with something she does like, even if it's just toast?

Rosebud05 Wed 05-Aug-09 22:15:21

PS. we often do the toast or fruit in the buggy thing on the way to nursery......

gingernutlover Fri 07-Aug-09 10:05:56

I agree, there should be some choice for breakfast. You need to ask the nursery that since they wont allow you to provide breakfast for your dd then they need to provide something she will eat.

My dd's nursery has a selection of 4 different cereals, cornflakes, rice crispies, weetabix and shreddies. Plus they have toast most mornings as well. I thought this was the norm but maybe not.

They do however, only offer 1 choice for other meals to encourage the children to try different foods so maybe your daughters nursery is using this approach for all meals? No good if she is going hungry though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now