Talk

Advanced search

packed lunches at nursery

(5 Posts)
smudge88 Wed 22-Jul-09 17:11:29

i was wondering if anybody here sends their child to nursery with a packed lunch?
i am thinking about sending my child to nursery next year and as i have previously worked in nurseries, i am aware of how bad the food can be.
she would be attending for two half days and maybe one full day per week(not decided on the full day yet).we are very healthy people in general and i would feel a lot more confident if she eats what i know to be healthy home made food, and not from a jar/packet.
how would the nursery react to this?
what do you think?

angel1976 Wed 22-Jul-09 20:45:12

smudge88 - One of the best things about sending my son to nursery is NOT worrying about his food! If food is a really big concern for you, just make sure you find a nursery that has got a healthy eating plan for the kids. Check out the council-run ones as well as the Sure Start Children's Centres. For example, my DS goes to a nursery that is run by the council and attached to a primary school. The school is part of Greenwich Borough Healthy Eating Initiative (or something like that!), so the nursery gets their food in from the school and it's mostly really nice stuff! Even DH thinks DS eats better than us! On the odd occasion, he does get spaghetti hoops or baked beans and stuff like that but I don't have a problem with it seeing as it's only once a week. Also, he only gets fresh fruit / rice cakes or breadsticks for snacks.

If you do want to bring in your own food though, I can't see why the nursery would object to it. There are children in DS's nursery that has allergies or has certain food requirements because of religion and there is a chart that details each child's diet requirements. My opinion is that if your DD is only going to nursery 2 half days and possibly one full day, I would look for one that is able to cater best for her diet! Good luck!

megcleary Wed 22-Jul-09 20:47:36

I send lunch and dinner with dd the three days she goes as i am a tight arse grin

smudge88 Fri 24-Jul-09 14:13:24

thank you for the reply. i will look at all my options, read the food policies etc
maybe i am being a bit too straight but i would have issues with even occasional servings of food from a jar or tin ie spaghetti hoops, as i make all our food myself.
i could insist on her not having processed foods at nursery though. i am leaning twords packed lunch and snacks though but i will investigate every possibility.

angel1976 Fri 24-Jul-09 14:54:25

Good luck smudge88, your baby, your decision! wink If you choose a nursery with a healthy eating policy, you will have less to worry about. There have been threads on here about mothers who find it very hard for their wishes to be fully adhered to as obviously, when your child is in a group situation, it's very hard for a nursery staff to say 'no' to a certain child when the others are having food this child is not allowed iykwim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now