Talk

Advanced search

Nurseries and shift patterns

(8 Posts)
nicmuz Sun 19-Jul-09 16:50:10

HI all,

Im looking at starting a new job at a hospital but would be working shifts. Earlies would start about 7.15am and lates would finish at 9.45pm.

The thing is most nurseries dont open till 8am and i may have a problem with someone dropping my little girl off.

Also with shift patterns changing i dont know whether the nursery would like changing days.

Is anyone is a similiar predicament that has any advice.

Thanks

bigstripeytiger Sun 19-Jul-09 16:58:08

Is there a nursery attached to the hospital, or on the hospital grounds? They often have opening hours that fit in with early shifts.

nicmuz Sun 19-Jul-09 17:13:22

No there is no nursery unfortunately

pasturesnew Sun 19-Jul-09 17:20:33

Are you on your own or what are your other half's hours like, can't he do drop off and pick up on the days you can't? Otherwise what about grandparents to do the nursery run and inbetween care? Could you afford an au pair if no grandparent? What about childminders in your area, if you rang round and asked they might have some flexibility? Only people I know in this shift situation have one parent who is on more regular office hours and a fairly flexible childminder.

pasturesnew Sun 19-Jul-09 17:20:54

p.s. congratulations on job offer btw

nicmuz Mon 20-Jul-09 22:15:04

my husband goes in early and leaves late so he couldnt help.

one grandad and nana leave to start work for 7.00 to 7.30.

one grandad works shifts so wouldnt always be available and grandma doesnt drive and works local to where she lives with no nurseries near by.

It looks as though i will have to look into flexible childminders.

Thanx for the advice.

AngelNanny Tue 21-Jul-09 00:44:10

Maybe a nanny would be best to fit with the hours and day changes.

Good Luck

Nicocacola Thu 23-Jul-09 15:39:15

The nursery I used to work at was near to the hospital and opened at 7am for an additional charge, it might be useful to ring around different nurseries in the area to see if they do open early if you book for the extra early session.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now