Talk

Advanced search

Should I ask for a refund?

(7 Posts)
IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 10-Jul-09 21:37:21

DS was poorly with high temps last weekend but was himself again on Monday. On tuesday he came out in a rash all over his body and limbs.

He was due in nursery on Wednesday so I managed to get him seen by a GP at 6pm on Tuesday who diagnosed Roseola Infantum and said he would be fine to go to nursery. I checked the nursery policys that we have and it states that there is no exclusion period for roseola.

So I took him to nursery on Wednesday only to be told that they wouldn't have him as the rash was on his hands and feet aswell as his trunk and limbs and they have had several children with hand foot and mouth so couldn't accept him.

I took him back to the GP who said that it could be hand foot and mouth but unlikely as none of the spots had blistered, there was nothing in his mouth and the rash on his trunk was unusual for that virus. It was more likely roseola but time would tell (ie if the rash did blister and he developed ulcers in his mouth). So I took him home and had to take the day off work.

I then checked the nursery policys again and it states that hand foot and mouth has no exclusion criteria either.

None of the spots did blister so he went to nursery yesterday and today as usual.

When I asked why he was excluded on Wednesday as neither of the possible diagnoses have an exclusion period I was told it was because a few children are affected atm, yet this isn't stated in the policy.

Would I be being reasonable (or not) to ask for a refund of Wednesday's fees?

bigchris Fri 10-Jul-09 21:39:12

I would be very surprised if you got one

I honestly woudnt bother, it's not worth it for the ill feeling caused

CarGirl Fri 10-Jul-09 21:40:56

if this is a daycare nursery then I would ask for a credit towards next months fees because they did not follow their own policy.

Or actually just deduct it from your next months fees and send them a letter as to why bput the onus on them to get the extra money from you.

LIZS Fri 10-Jul-09 21:43:44

I suspect contracturally they can use their discretion to exclude any child presenting symptoms, regardless of policy for specific illnesses.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 10-Jul-09 21:52:29

I like that idea cargirl but it's a nursery attached to my place of work so the fees come straight out of my wages.

I don't want to cause any ill feeling because overall I'm very, very pleased with the care that my son receives there (and ds1 went there too and I couldn't fault it all all during his 2 1/2 years there).

I just feel a little misled by the policy and if nothing else wonder if the wording should be altered to something along the lines of "Exlusion perios - none, unless number of affected children dictates oherwise"

CarGirl Fri 10-Jul-09 21:54:49

I would just write to the manager then and ask for a refund because it wasn't in line with their policy and point out their policies need changing in order to prevent future misunderstandings.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 10-Jul-09 22:00:01

Sorry about the typos in my last post blush

Yes, I think I will.

Thanks for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now