Talk

Advanced search

Not happy with the nursery's way of dealing with my potty training DS..

(11 Posts)
RumourOfAHurricane Thu 09-Jul-09 14:35:38

Message withdrawn

kathyis6incheshigh Thu 09-Jul-09 14:39:56

I think they are being lazy and crap and the line about infringing on his rights is utter rubbish and suggests they are either dishonest or stupid.

ruddynorah Thu 09-Jul-09 14:43:13

dd was potty trained with having loads of potties around her nursery room for 2-3 year olds. lots of kids with no pants on all learning to use the potty.

then they had an ofsted inspection who marked them down for having potties laid out in the room. they had to put them away in the toilets which is through 2 doors from the room.

i'm very glad dd was dry before this change was made.

PortAndLemon Thu 09-Jul-09 14:43:16

I agree entirely with Kathy. Fine not to have the potties in the 2-3 room, but there is no reason not to take him to the potty.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 09-Jul-09 14:43:23

Message withdrawn

allaboutme Thu 09-Jul-09 14:43:36

sounds crap
when ds1 was potty training (same age) his nursery did exactly as i asked them to... put potty in view and asked him every half hour or so, plus helped him when he wanted to go (he couldnt do his own trousers then)

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 09-Jul-09 14:45:33

Message withdrawn

navyeyelasH Thu 09-Jul-09 15:06:31

If the nursery are going to be so silly about not taking him to the potty I would send him in with pants on with pull ups over the top.

That way your son will know when he has wet himself but you wont have loads of trousers to wash - just the pants. If you send him in with just pull ups it will take longer for him to realise he is wet and the nursery will be less bothered about asking if he needs to go as it's "safe" as he's in pull ups.

He will/may fall out of the habit of asking or lean to become "lazy" about asking to go in nursery. Going for a wee is very distracting when you're in nursery as there are loads of other much cooler things to be doing so he needs to get into the habit of tearing himself away from play. Wet pants is probably the only way he will earn to ask if the nusery wont "force" him. But you need to be confident he will know he is wet - otherwise the chances are he'll be in wet pants for a good few hours which could make him sore.

YANBU BTW the nursery is being silly!

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 09-Jul-09 15:10:08

Message withdrawn

Mummywannabe Thu 09-Jul-09 20:36:14

Sorry they sound nuts! I'm a nursery manager, can understand their H & S concerns (well not actually but trying to be generous!), why can't they keep a potty to hand and then CLEAN it straight away? And as for not infringing his rights, blimey how on earth do they cope with 2 year olds if they never take the lead and jolly them along. (have visions of lots of 2 year olds with snotty noses, no dinner, etc etc cause they said no!)

Meglet Thu 09-Jul-09 20:39:29

How weird! My ds's nursery has potties in the room for younger toddlers 1 - 2yrs and toilets and potties in the older toddlers room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now