Talk

Advanced search

Nurseries in Hampstead Garden Suburb / Golders Green / Finchley

(16 Posts)
Maria2007 Mon 29-Jun-09 12:29:50

Hi everyone

We live in NW11 (London) & our little boy is 11 months at the moment. As I work part time from home (and so does DP) we're taking our time & are looking at various different nurseries in the area so that we can put DS's name down for when he's closer to 2 years old. The nurseries we've looked at so far are Rocking Horse & Scribbles & we've got appointments for Clowns. I've also heard good things about Fortis Green Nursery.

Anyone got any feedback about these nurseries (or other ones you're happy with in the area)? I'm particularly interested in negative feedback (grin) if there's any!

pickcherries Mon 29-Jun-09 20:14:52

i know many people who send their children to the rocking horse and are all really pleased, they have gymboree once a week (weds i think)

pudding25 Tue 30-Jun-09 21:32:35

My baby (14mths) goes to Pentland nursery in Squires Lane (Finchley). It is really great. Not as plush as Rocking Horse (which has a long waiting list) but the staff are wonderful, really warm, friendly and great with the kids. I couldn't be happier with it.

squeaver Tue 30-Jun-09 21:39:26

May or may not be your thing, but Clowns is very academically-focused (some might say "hot-housing") as most parents there are using it as a feeder for the private schools in Hampstead and Highgate.

E.g. they teach them to write their names, know their letters etc at 2.5.

Maria2007 Tue 30-Jun-09 22:32:44

Thanks Pickcherries, Pudding & Squeaver for the info. Squeaver, what you describe (about hothousing at Clowns) is exactly what I wouldn't want! I really believe babies- and toddlers up to school age- should be left alone to play!! And definitely not be taught to write their names & know letters etc that soon. So perhaps Clowns is not for us... and I did get a very slight sense that Rocking horse may be a bit like that too (or am I wrong?), although I did find it a lovely place too. Anyway, I've scheduled a visit to Clowns next week, since its the last on my list, but after Pudding's advice, I'll visit Pentlant too...

Thanks again. Any other recommendations / thoughts are welcome of course!

sophia70 Wed 01-Jul-09 06:46:28

they've both had ofsted inspections recently - you can compare reports on ofsted's website : )

Maria2007 Wed 01-Jul-09 14:07:22

Great, thanks Sophia: I'll look those reports up.

Pudding, I've now emailed Pentland & have asked to go visit. I've also made an appointment to see Fortis Green nursery; I hear really good things about it.

Anyone know about Fortis Green nursery by any chance?

pickcherries Wed 01-Jul-09 19:41:04

my friends lil boy is in the pre school room and she said that its not acemdically focused.. of course if the chidren now how to write their name ie taught at home they are allowed to arite it but no child is forced to particupate in any activities if the dont want to..

pudding25 Wed 01-Jul-09 20:36:36

I have just checked out Pentlands report (I knew ofsted was there but not that it had been published) and am surprised they only got satisfactory (although being a teacher, not really that surprised as I know how ridiculous they are). Hope it doesn't put you off.

Maria2007 Wed 01-Jul-09 21:05:56

Hi again.

Pudding- basically I think with these things we need to be going on gut feeling more than anything else So ok, ofsted reports may be important to a degree, but the most important thing to me by far is to get on with the staff...

PickCherries- thanks for the info on Fortis Green. Really helpful. I'm seeing it tomorrow

One more question: after I've seen all nurseries, do I put DSs name down for 2-3 or just for 1? (taken into account that we're looking for a part-time place at the earliest in january, but perhaps later).

pickcherries Wed 01-Jul-09 22:44:41

i was talking about the rocking horse.. sorry i didnt make it clear

sophia70 Thu 02-Jul-09 06:26:10

humm - they are supposed to give you a copy of their report when its published - it's the law!

pudding25 Thu 02-Jul-09 21:17:22

It was only published a few days ago so I am sure we will get a copy (am going to ask next week!).

I had DD down at 3 nurseries but I had a definite start date at work and needed the reassurance that I would hopefully get one of them!

shortys Fri 03-Jul-09 11:03:41

Hi Maria

My little one goes to Active Learning in North Finchley and loves it! They have also had their Ofsted which was a good report. Have a look at their webiste.

Maria2007 Fri 03-Jul-09 15:58:45

So I've also now seen Fortis Green Nursery which was by far my favourite so far; seemed absolutely wonderful. But horrendously long waiting lists. The earliest they can take DS is when he's 2 yrs old (he's now 11 months) shock. However, given that I loved it so much, I've put our name down on the waiting list & am now thinking of keeping DS at home for a further year with our part time nanny (20 hours a week) & with me & DP the rest of the time (we both work part time so it should be doable). It seemed such a lovely nursery, & it just felt 'right'... so I think it's best to wait just to be able to send DS there.

To be on the safe side though I will also put DS's name down for the Rocking Horse as well for a few months earlier, just in case things don't work out with our nanny for so many months or even because it may be that at that point we feel we really want to send him to nursery earlier....

su2 Wed 12-Aug-09 23:07:12

Mine went to Early Learning Years (ELY) in Finchley - all four of them! Last one has now left. It's probably smaller than the others but very friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now