Talk

Advanced search

nursery fees rising!!

(6 Posts)
Balzer Thu 25-Jun-09 17:50:11

Help! My daughter is signed up to start at Kinderland, South Croydon, in September (09) but they've just written and have upped their fees from £45 to £70 a day! shock Are other local nurseries going to do the same?? What should I do?!

Scarfmaker Thu 25-Jun-09 21:52:22

Surely they can't up their fees another £25 a day. What's the reasoning behind this - can't you give them a ring to find out.

Also, the parents with children already there won't be too happy so they will prob lose a lot of children.

It does usually set a precedent in the area so what one nursery does, others follow but I can't see a rise of £25 for all of them.

Balzer Fri 26-Jun-09 09:17:40

I rang immediately - the manager told me it was because of 'government legislation' in order to make fees hourly (i.e. £7 an hour). And that this would be better for parents as you can buy the hours you need. But in order to do my 9 to 5 job I need 8am to 6pm, 10 hours, £70 a day!

I think you're right though - not many of us could afford that rate so it's unlikely that all the nurseries will follow - they just wouldn't have any customers! Fingers crossed! It's just gutting when I was so organised and found a lovely nursery in good time! Back to square one...

hf128219 Fri 26-Jun-09 09:24:37

Blimey! That's City of London prices.

notyummy Fri 26-Jun-09 09:35:07

Bloody hell! I realise you live in the south of England where fees are generally higher....but that sounds prohibitive.

I would google for some news on the 'legislation'....sounds VEERRYY dodgy to me.

We are in Lincs and fees around here £28 - £35 for a full day, although cost of living is generally lower I know.

redskyatnight Fri 26-Jun-09 12:07:19

This is presumably related to the legislation about parents being able to have more choice around when they take their funded hours of care?

I think the nursery is being a bit cheeky - if someone (say) only wants a couple of hours a day I could understand them charging £7 an hour as this limits them in taking other children, but you would expect them to give discounted rates for those wanting full or half days.

My son is going to an holiday playscheme which charges £4 an hour but charges only £25 a day (8-6). i'd expect a structure like this in place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now