Talk

Advanced search

Change to nursery or stay with childminder? Need to make a decision soon!

(4 Posts)
Leah4 Wed 24-Jun-09 12:24:50

Hi,

I am still undecided as to whether to change my DS from his childminder to a local montessori nursery, from this September, when he will be almost 2.9 years old.

He has been at his current childminder for a year, and enjoys going there 3 days per week. She has two other children, one younger and one child around the same age. The nursery has recently offered me a place, after being on a long waiting list. I work during the school hols, but my DH or parents may be able to look after him at this time.

The main reason to change him is to allow him to do more activities, mix with more children his age, and also due to costs, and watch less TV. It will save quite a lot, and even more once he gets his nursery grant funding in April. I would prefer to start in April, but the nursery have one intake a year and cannot guarantee a place then. Or I could let him start next September 2010.

I really like my childminder, and she is very close to where I live. The nursery has an earlier closing time, which may mean me changing my hours, and I have to provide a packed lunch, a big change for DS after nice, hot dinners, and he eats a lot! Also, I am a bit concerned that they will not sleep much, and most kids there do not sleep. DS likes his sleep and is very grumpy if he misses his one hour nap.

Sorry for the long post! Would appreciate your help so I can make a decision today!

Thanks

Leah4 Wed 24-Jun-09 12:26:11

Hi, I am still undecided as to whether to change my DS from his childminder to a local montessori nursery, from this September, when he will be almost 2.9 years old.

He has been at his current childminder for a year, and enjoys going there 3 days per week. She has two other children, one younger and one child around the same age. The nursery has recently offered me a place, after being on a long waiting list. I work during the school hols, but my DH or parents may be able to look after him at this time.

The main reason to change him is to allow him to do more activities, mix with more children his age, and also due to costs, and watch less TV. It will save quite a lot, and even more once he gets his nursery grant funding in April. I would prefer to start in April, but the nursery have one intake a year and cannot guarantee a place then. Or I could let him start next September.

I really like my childminder, and she is very close to where I live. The nursery has an earlier closing time, which may mean me changing my hours, and I have to provide a packed lunch, a big change for DS after nice, hot dinners, and he eats a lot! Also, I am a bit concerned that they will not sleep much, and most kids there do not sleep. DS likes his sleep and is very grumpy if he misses his one hour nap.

Sorry for the long post! Would appreciate your help so I can make a decision today!

Thanks

PinkChick Wed 24-Jun-09 12:39:47

hi, i actually think you answered your own question theresmile..the onl y diff is cost.if you think you LO is watching lot of tv at cm, ask her to change that, but as a cm myself, i feel we give just as much socailising but on a more 'one to one' basis, yes we have more than one child, but less than a nursery so children can form good bonds with the other children nd still learn good social skills.good luck deciding smile

Leah4 Wed 24-Jun-09 12:52:06

Thanks PinckChick. Just realised I posted this twice! The tv is not one of the main things; probably the activities and also the costs, in view of getting the grant in April. My CM has heled lots in helping DS to be more sharing!

Still unsure if nursery will be better option after building a close relationship with CM and other children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now