Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How would you feel about your child's nursery letting them watch Mamma Mia dvd?

(37 Posts)
fuzzypeach Wed 17-Jun-09 19:21:34

I am probably the only person in the world who has not seen this film, but I do know its a PG which in my opinion means that it shouldn't be watched without parents consent - but I picked DD1 up from nursery today and one of the carers had brought this dvd in and they were watching it - DD1 is 4 and the others in the room were aged from 3years old.
Is it suitable for this age group and am I fussing over nothing, or should I be saying something when I drop her off tomorrow?

shootfromthehip Wed 17-Jun-09 19:23:17

I've not seen it either but I wouldn't be terribly impressed either!

FrannyandZooey Wed 17-Jun-09 19:23:41

no as i understand it, it is about a young woman and her mother trying to work out which ex boyfriend is her father
it's not a children's film just because it has songs in, despite general opinion
and many of the songs are really unsuitable for children to be singing!

growingup Wed 17-Jun-09 19:24:24

Message withdrawn

fuzzypeach Wed 17-Jun-09 19:24:46

yes - I agree about the songs, DD1 has been singing them all since she got in! She has obviously paid a lot of attention to it!

hana Wed 17-Jun-09 19:25:12

is terribly lazy for a preschool/nursery to show a dvd I think

agingoth Wed 17-Jun-09 19:25:57

Mamma Mia is an offence to human rights in general

clemette Wed 17-Jun-09 19:26:12

I would go further - I wouldn't let DC go to a nursery that has a television / DVD player.

lockets Wed 17-Jun-09 19:26:38

Message withdrawn

NorthernLurker Wed 17-Jun-09 19:27:16

It's not particularly suitable because of it's theme - but having said that my dd3 (aged 2) absolutely loves it when her two older sisters watch it.

I think I would want to ask why they were showing a PG to such young children without asking you first. I did the same at after school club when one of the older girls (then in reception) was scared witless by a PG film they showed. I got an apology and assured that it wouldn't happen again - and it hasn't.

Pennies Wed 17-Jun-09 19:27:36

NO - there should be nothing other than a U showing for that age group.

As an aside I"m a bit shock that a nursery would show children a whole film anyway. I wouldn't want my children watching that much TV whilst at a childcare setting. The occasional 20 minute showing of something from Cbeebies maybe but I would expect them to be doing other stuff, e.g. physical / creative play, stories, playdoh, or maybe playing with stuff on the computer etc.

sassy Wed 17-Jun-09 19:28:05

I'd be seriously cross on 3 levels.
1) There is some swearing in the spoken script and the storyline is q bit suspect
2) it is PG and the nursery staff, while in loco parentis are not the parents to make that choice
3) WTF are a nursery doing putting a DVD on anyway? You are paying them to provide a stimulating environmnet for your child, not plonk them in front of videos.

I'd be complaining if it were me (and I'm not a complainer by nature)

FrannyandZooey Wed 17-Jun-09 19:29:02

this might help you decide

"Subtle sexual jokes about how Sophie has three possible fathers. Most children, unless told, won't understand the jokes. Briefly, we see a man's Butt. A woman places part of a plant between her thighs to resemble a man's penis. When taking Tanya's boots off the other two sisters use suggestive thrusting movements to do it. Sophie says "I don't care if you've slept with hundreds of men" Donna says "I haven't slept with hundreds of men". A woman grabs another woman's clothed breasts and asks her where she got them. Donna mentions that she "won't be muscled out by an ejaculation!" We find out Harry is gay. Tanya asks Donna if she's "Getting any"

Violence & Gore
EditHistory
Profanity
EditHistory Sophie cries "it's crap!" at her mother in a moment of distress; Donna berates herself for formerly being a "reckless little slut" one use of ass and a ton of Oh my gods

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking
EditHistory During a song with the line, "the night is young and the music's high," a woman pretends to be high. Bachelorette party involves partying and drinking. Sky holds an unlit cigar in a few scenes and in one song sings how Sophie once thought smoking was his only vice. Rosie and Tanya offer Donna some prescription tablets to help cure her distressed blocked nose and runny eyes. A woman bites the cap off a beer bottle and takes a drink from it.

Frightening/Intense Scenes
EditHistory We see an ugly looking fish in a basket with large pirhana like teeth it may frighten younger children. Rosie is seen hanging from a ledge. "

MrsHappy Wed 17-Jun-09 19:32:34

I would be cross because I think nursery staff should be able to come up with other things for children to do than plonking them in front of the TV.

If they are going to have the children watch TV they should make sure that parents know and consent to what they are doing. I bet watching DVDs is not in the brochure! And even if it was, how many parents would want their 3 year old to watch the whole of Mamma Mia?

NorthernLurker Wed 17-Jun-09 19:35:48

The bit with the plant and the pretending to be high are very brief shots and Harry being gay is subtle my dh didn't get it - though admittedly he wasn't totally enthralled by the film so perhaps wasn't paying that much attention!

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 17-Jun-09 19:37:32

I happily let my six year old watch Mamma Mia. However, that is my judgement to make as a parent, that's what PG is for. Our primary school, and most primary schools IME only allow U cert films to be shown.
To put it in perspective, my DD3's Year 2 class are doing Roald Dahl and the teacher sent home a letter explaining that they would be showing carefully selected extracts from Matilda (PG) in class in case any parent wanted to object.

purepurple Wed 17-Jun-09 19:38:44

I haven't seen this film, but as a nursery worker, I only allow the children to watch a film if it is a U.
We only watch TV very ocassionally, when it is raining or as a special treat.
It poured down today so we watched Numberjacks.For about 10 mins, then when the room was cleard after lunch, the children had the choice of rooms, TV or activities. Most chose the activities.
I am not a big fan of TV at nursery but it does have its uses.

Mamma Mia is not suitable for children so you should complain to the manager.

Hulababy Wed 17-Jun-09 19:41:28

I didn't think schools (and therefore nurseries too) were allowed to show PG films withhout prior consent tot his age group.

moondog Wed 17-Jun-09 19:42:53

I'm with Goth.
It's an affornt to anyone, irrespective of age.

Probably the worst film I have ever seen.

NorthernLurker Wed 17-Jun-09 19:49:27

I'm constantly amazed by how bad at singing Pierce Brrosnan is - bearing in mind what we hear will be after his voice has been put through every type of sound technology to improve it....

agingoth Wed 17-Jun-09 20:00:42

I was forced to sit through it by a friend and it was like being smothered by a giant marshmallow.

RupertTheBear Wed 17-Jun-09 20:00:50

In the school where I work we are only allowed to show U films up to year 5. In Year Six we can show a PG but only with permission from senior management, and then only if someone has actually seen the film and knows there is nothing too bad in it. Am shocked a nursery would do this and would be making a complaint if it was my dc.

dilemma456 Wed 17-Jun-09 21:08:02

Message withdrawn

thirtypence Wed 17-Jun-09 21:23:57

I thought twice about showing G (I think that that's a UK U) rated Disney Fantasia to some year 5 boys (they were studying the composer Mussorgsky and I showed them Night on a Bare Mountain).) It has got some stylized nymph types with cartoon bare breasts (think art deco). I did show it because it was relevant to their unit on Art and Music and because it was only a second or two in a 10 minute segment.

I would not be happy about Mamma Mia - largely because there are so many more movies which could be shown to this age group. It's just laziness. You don't see them putting on the Magic Flute or Marriage of Figaro do you? They are similar tales also featuring singing.

My main worry is that they are passing that off as their music teaching - but that's my bee in my bonnet.

atworknotworking Wed 17-Jun-09 21:26:16

I'm a cm, we have a tv but we use it very rarely and usually for the older children who like ps games. As a rule we only allow U rated vids, dvd's occassionaly one of the mindees will bring something from home I'm often shock at what children are allowed to watch, if we go to the cinema or want to wach a pg, it has to be with seperate parental consent, if all agree and I feel it's suitable and relevant then we watch it in stages, if not then we don't and certainly not for children of pre-school age.

I would be angry if my dd had watched this at nursery, what were they thinking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now