Talk

Advanced search

Nursery keep sending DS home for having "loose bowels".

(6 Posts)
Maudy Sat 09-Apr-05 11:09:58

They have now rung me three times in th last two weeks. DS is 2.5, eats, sleeps and drinks well. Eats lots of fruit and veg and has raisins with his breakfast nearely everyday. He has always pooed alot but admittedly he is pooing more than normal at the mo.

At first I thought it was a mild bug going round the nursery and was happy to pick him up the first time. DP was also ill and spent last weekend throwing up so there must have been something. But nearly 3 weeks into it and he still has very soft poo and lots of it. not sure if this is a moan about nurseru or a concern about Ds's tummy but any opinions would be helpful.Maudy

NotQuiteCockney Sat 09-Apr-05 11:13:06

Toddlers/young kids seem prone to this. I sometimes find giving Dioralyte (not a drug, just a sugar/salt combination, although you do find it at the chemists) can sort it out a bit.

The other option is to try to reduce his fibre intake a bit. Bananas are constipating, so is cheese, so are eggs.

jangly Sat 09-Apr-05 11:18:14

I'd say, give him Weetabix and wholewheat bread. You need to firm up the poo. The fruit and veg, though very good in themselves, could be making it runny. Perhaps leave out the raisins at breakfast, give him his fruit later in day. Or it could be simply a low level infection\cold thingy hanging on. They can!

purpleturtle Sat 09-Apr-05 11:23:38

But Weetabix has the opposite effect on my ds - just ends up smeared all over the place, and v difficult to wipe off!

Maudy Sat 09-Apr-05 11:27:16

yes, I think I will stop the raisins although that will probably cause a major drama in itself. Annoying as it's never really caused a problem before. I am tring to give them more things such as brown bread,brown rice and corn pasta rather than the refined flour options so I'll see if tht helps too. To be honest I think it is jsut a long lasting bug as other kids have had similar things too but just not for quite as long.

polkadot Fri 15-Apr-05 14:26:45

Jangly's advice sounds good. Suggest you try Weetabix for breakfast to add bulk and cut out raisins and fruit juice (if you are giving it) Try limiting fruit to 1 portion per day as this is a common culprit for loose bowels in small children. You should not need to restrict veg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now