Talk

Advanced search

Horrible nappy rash

(11 Posts)
sallycinnamon Fri 25-Mar-05 00:06:18

My dd aged 2.1 is very prone to nappy rash as she is on long term antibiotics for water problems. She goes to Nursery for the 3 days that I work. Today when I picked her up I was told she was "a little bit red down below". So I didn't think much of this because its a regular occurance and a bit of metanium over night generally sorts it. However when I changed her this evening I was horrified- she had a massive ammonia burn across her girly bits She wouldn't let me clean her and putting soothing cream on was a real struggle. Help!! I burst into tears when I saw how bad she was. My dp says this is lack of care and tantamount to child abuse. How do I play this? Do I ignore or go in and cause problems for key carer who up to now has been good

sallycinnamon Fri 25-Mar-05 00:21:29

Sorry meant to say that we are generally happy with nursery but you do get the feeling that if they don't poo on demand in time for the regular nappy changes they are left sitting in it until the next one. So sad about this - I can't bear the thought that she has been in pain today. she walks like bloody John Wayne!

PuffTheMagicDragon Fri 25-Mar-05 00:33:17

Your poor dd .

Make it clear to the nursery that it's unacceptable for her to be coming home in that state.

Hope her skin gets better soon - when my ds got v sore, I gave him an extra bath each day, the warm water seemed to help sooth things.

chipmonkey Fri 25-Mar-05 00:34:28

sc, i think you must say something. In a nursery, things can get lax and its only when people complain that they improve. With your dd'x condition its VITAL that she gets regular nappy changes, scheduled or not! btw my ds had something similar. Our GP prescribed an antifungal cream with steroids that did the job along with going nappy-free when possible. Your poor little dd!

jabberwocky Fri 25-Mar-05 01:10:18

Oh dear. We get something called Happy Hiney. The pharmacist makes it up and it is by prescription only. Don't know what all is in it or if it is available in UK but it works wonders, especially for that burnt looking rash like you describe.

bubble99 Tue 29-Mar-05 22:16:04

sallycinnamon. You must insist that the nursery change her two hourly whether they think she needs it or not. I'm assuming she wears disposables which, though they feel dry, will leach urine back onto the skin. With normal, intact skin this is not such a big issue. With a child prone to nappy rash it is.

handlemecarefully Tue 29-Mar-05 22:30:38

Steady on there!

My dd was a martyr to her nappy rash - it was particularly bad when she was teething. Her skin used to break down and bleed because of it. She would wince and recoil in agony when her nappy was changed. She used to come home from Nursery sometimes with a very red bottom and I used to inwardly seethe about it - until the same thing would happen to her bottom when she was at home on a day off with me and I was checking her half hourly. Basically her poo seemed to have the same effect on her bottom as battery acid - it only needed to be in contact with her skin for 5 minutes and the damage was done. This was not Nursery's fault.

Baby ds by contrast has never known a day's nappy rash. He is cared for by the same nursery, and some of the same staff (there hasn't been much turnover since dd was in the baby section 2 years ago). He doesn't poo very often (early morning and late evening only) and sometimes I only change his nappy 3 or 4 times per day. But his skin - on his bum at least (he has eczema elsewhere) is smooth and peachy.

So the moral of this story is don't go jumping to conclusions that the Nusery is necessarily at fault. Some babies are just dreadfully predisposed to nappy rash (as my dd was)

By the way - you may be doing this already - but don't use wipes. Just cotton wool and water.

bubble99 Tue 29-Mar-05 22:54:45

Calm down, Bubble

handlemecarefully Tue 29-Mar-05 23:02:53

Sorry, I wasn't meaning you specifically should 'steady on' Bubble.

Was just generally urging caution, as it might not be the Nursery's fault.....

dot1 Mon 23-May-05 21:49:23

I know this is an old thread, but just to add that our ds2 who's 13 months gets dreadful nappy rash (+ eczema) on the two days a week he's at nursery. He's fine throughout the week, but then it flares up when he's at nursery. We've been wondering if it's stress-related - the fact that there's tons going on and he doesn't sleep as well there? They've started changing him hourly (bless them!) and cut out all dairy and this week it was a bit better, so maybe very regular changing is the answer, but it could just be the change in environment for the 3 days a week.

sallycinnamon Wed 25-May-05 08:52:31

If they're changing him that regularly then maybe it is an environment thing. I finally went into see the manager at our Nursery as one Friday dd had horrendous nappy rash again, then the next time she went she came home with a changed nappy yet no one had cleaned the poo from between her cheeks. To say I was horrified is an understatement. New manager assures me that it will never happen again. I'm potty training her now though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now