Advanced search

DD not sleeping at nursery

(14 Posts)
TarkaLiotta Mon 10-Nov-08 22:19:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TarkaLiotta Tue 11-Nov-08 09:50:35

pudding25 Tue 11-Nov-08 09:54:43

Sorry, no advice but bumping for you as dd is going to nursery in April when she will be 10 mths old and this is one of my long list of things I am already worrying about...

Hope someone comes along with some advice.

Is she not napping because she is too distracted/not settled- or because the staff don't put her down for a nap when she is meant to have one?

TarkaLiotta Tue 11-Nov-08 10:44:03

mummy2rachel Tue 11-Nov-08 10:59:01

I understand exactly how you feel, TarkaLiotta. My dd is the same. Only has a total of 20 - 30 mins nap in nursery and dead tired by the time I pick her up at the end of the day. And she won't sleep in her buggy too! Like yours, she refuses to have her feeds in nursery and she has lost some weight. Doesn't help that she is picking up every bug there is in nursery. What I have told nursery is to offer milk to her every 1.5hours. She is slowly coming round to having some milk yesterday.

Sorry, I am not much help, but just want to let you know that you are not alone. Hope someone with more experience will come along soon to offer better advice.

TarkaLiotta Tue 11-Nov-08 11:23:15

varietyisthespiceoflife Tue 11-Nov-08 11:44:04

hi, my DD is 9 mths and been at nursery for 8 weeks. She is the same, won't sleep much in nursery, tends to have between 25 - 40 mins each day compared to 2hrs plus at home!
She is only in for 3 days a week so I tend to make sure she gets her naps in on the days she's at home to make sure she has caught up with sleep.
She does have her milk, although very sporadic, sometimes takes both morning and afternoon bottles, sometimes only a couple of ozs of each. I think she might be ready to drop a feed to be honest, maybe your baby is the same?
DD's weight hasn't gained as much recently either (although she is quite big ) but again i thought that was supposed to happen at this age...when they start to move around more etc

Scarfmaker Tue 11-Nov-08 14:57:58

Do they have a separate sleeping room for the babies - if not its no wonder they can't sleep.

varietyisthespiceoflife Tue 11-Nov-08 15:20:08

no! they have to sleep in the same room. Too much going on for them to relax and go to sleep

Scarfmaker Tue 11-Nov-08 20:33:32

The only thing you can do is to either accept they are only going to have half the amount of sleep as per usual or to have a word with the nursery to see if they can provide a quite area for sleeping.

Being a childminder I've always wondered how nurseries fulfil this important part of a growing baby's requirement but then again I suppose it comes down to numbers.

TarkaLiotta Wed 12-Nov-08 09:26:04

hjk Fri 24-Jul-09 14:06:03

Hi TarkaLiotta, I have a 10.5mth old baby who has been going to nursery 2 days a week for the past 4 weeks and she is also refusing sleep at the nursery. Like you LO, she normally has 2 naps of 1-2hr at home but she will only go down for 45 min in the nursery. She was also refusing milk and most of her food... I was wondering whether your LO turned out sleeping more in the end? And do you have any tips? Thanks.

marenmj Sun 02-Aug-09 01:27:21

Mine is the same - 7 months and will sleep less than half her usual time the days she is in nursery. She comes home absolutely shattered and will sleep for nearly three hours if I let her, then sleep in again the next morning.

It's giving me serious doubts about leaving her in nursery full time. She loves it, but like the LO's above, refused her milk until recently (still does, but is weaning so she makes up for it in solids) and doesn't sleep well.

I could justify doing it if absolutely necessary, but am really wondering if it's good for her or if I should just join a playgroup instead.

WiggADiWiggaDiWa Sun 02-Aug-09 01:48:37

Hiya, I was working at a nursery (in baby room until a week ago) so can hopefully give input from other side.

How have they tried getting her to sleep? Are you happy with patting methods? Even our worst sleepers we eventually got down by shh/patting and the eventually get used to the routine.

Also, might seem odd to you but is there anyway you can increase her hours for a week or so? just sometimes the less time they spend there the harder it is iyswim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now