Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Leaving Nursery - gifts for staff or not

(12 Posts)
Nikkichik Thu 10-Mar-05 10:23:14

We are moving out of the area and dd is going to have to leave her lovely nursery. What is the done thing re the giving of gifts to nursery staff? Should we give them, who to and what (on a budget). We gave boxes of biscuits and chocs and Xmas but can't help but feel that we should do something more now to show our appreciation for all their hard work. Help - Any suggestions or ideas appreciated.

Marina Thu 10-Mar-05 10:40:46

I'd concentrate on letters/cards to each of of dd's room workers and maybe also the Head of Unit saying how much you have appreciated all they have done. Chocolates and biscuits are a nice gesture I think but I notice that thankyou cards are proudly displayed on room noticeboards for weeks.
We do give presents at Christmas and Easter and on moving rooms but I like to think that part of the reason we seem to get on so well with our children's nursery workers is that we are genuinely appreciative and supportive of all their kindnesses and efforts.
The other option is vouchers...I seem to recall from a similar thread recently that nursery workers like these if it is apparent that the giver really wants them to choose a gift they would like IYSWIM.

bundle Thu 10-Mar-05 10:44:37

although i haven't got round to it yet, we're going to buy something for the nursery she was at for 4 yrs (probably dressing up clothes as imaginative play is her 1st love) so that other children will benefit too. i'd just get them a box of biscuits or something for their staff room.

Nikkichik Thu 10-Mar-05 11:07:04

I like the voucher idea. Might get one for her key worker (is £10 too little do you think?) and just give the others some nice chocs and a big thank you card. Might get some books for the children too.

Azure Thu 10-Mar-05 11:14:58

When DS left nursery recently we bought Lush gift boxes for each of the 3 staff in his room, together with cards. We also gave a general card to all staff at the nursery, so it could go on the board. We have bought Boots gift vouchers in the past.

littlerach Thu 10-Mar-05 11:16:42

£10 is definitely enough. When I worked in a nursery, usually we wree bought chocs etc, and sometimes wine. Vouchers are a great idea.

Marina Thu 10-Mar-05 11:17:45

bundle, when ds left his fab nursery (v. similar in ethos and attitude to yours I think) after 4 years we donated our original deposit to buy...(sigh ) books, of course.

Hulababy Fri 11-Mar-05 08:37:54

When DD left her nursery last summer (after 2 years there) we bought the nursery some outdoor toys from ELC. I spent £20 but got lots of 3 for 2 toys - things like balls, beanbags, egg and spoon, rackets, etc. I also sent in a card to accompany it, and a disposable camera to record DD's last day at nursery and with her friends - which I sent copies of to them for nursery.

bundle Sat 12-Mar-05 11:11:50

marina, that's lovely! i love the idea of some permanent reminder of the investment they made in your child

Nikkichik Mon 14-Mar-05 11:44:03

Thanks all. Went and bought some Lush gift boxes for the 3 staff in dd's room (a bigger one for her key worker) Will buy a big box of chocs/biscs for the staff room and have ordered some books for the kids. I think taht about wraps it up OK. Hula I really like the idea of the disposable camera to record dd's last day. Will ask about that when I collect her.

Gobbledigook Mon 14-Mar-05 11:45:38

Hulababy - fab, fab ideas!

Hulababy Mon 14-Mar-05 17:38:22

ELC has a lot of their outdoor toys on sale prices at the moment, as well as some of the learning type toys and books on 3 for 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now