Talk

Advanced search

Nursery has changed, bit concerned

(9 Posts)
aideesmum Tue 28-Oct-08 08:29:33

I have been extremely happy with my ds nursery and he has been there since 10 month, now 3.5yrs. Over the last 2 months it has changed and I have had to point out to them what a child is doing which they haven't spotted.
For example I picked up my ds a few weeks ago, the outside door to the under 2's was open and they had an item of furniture in the way so they couldn't get out. However, the child did manage to get outside and hadn't even been spotted! The outside is fully fenced/ gated so he didn't get right out but that's not really the point is it?
Yesterday all 4 nursery staff were sitting around chatting and didn't notice the 1 year old boy in the toilets by the sink, he wasn't even in the under 2s room (gate was open), god knows what could have happened to him in there.
Today I drop off my ds and again they are chatting, not noticing what the kids are doing.
Am I over-reacting to this? Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.

crankycrane Tue 28-Oct-08 08:34:38

your childs safety is paramount
no i dont think you are overacting
has there been a staff change?
maybe you should have word with the manager

reikizen Tue 28-Oct-08 08:37:02

I'd speak to the manager about it but in a low key way. I also try to speak to the staff at the time if I notice something amiss in a sort of 'wow, it must be really hard keeping an eye on this lot' kind of way. I think parents have a big responsibility to make sure nurseries are safe for their own and everyone else's kids.

bozza Tue 28-Oct-08 08:39:15

Not really sure what could have happened to the 1yo other than getting rather soggy. However I do take your point on them not supervising and interacting with the children. Sounds to me like it is getting to the end of the day and they are mentally clocking off before they have actually finished work which is obviously not on. So no not over-reacting.

SmugColditz Tue 28-Oct-08 08:39:22

I shouted at someone t my son's playschool. I found a little girl crying in the loo because she couldn't pull her pants up - I know for a FACT this child is supposed to have full time one-to-one. So I shouted at the woman who was supposed to be looking after her buty was in fact sitting with a parent helper with a coffee and some playdoh.

dilemma456 Tue 28-Oct-08 08:42:10

Message withdrawn

aideesmum Tue 28-Oct-08 09:36:02

The assistant manager left about 2 months ago who my ds loved, she was brilliant but then again they all seemed to be then.
It is only since then I have noticed these lackings in care for the children.
Today not one of the staff even spoke to me!
Thanks for your comments, I will keep an eye out when I'm there and will approach the manager.

familybliss Tue 28-Oct-08 12:04:43

No you are not. Last year I was in exactly the same situation.

familybliss Tue 28-Oct-08 12:08:14

To this day, I am amazed at how 2 members of staff can make such a huge difference.

In my dd nursery's case, the moment those 2 members of staff departed, the nursery's standards simply nosedived. My dd departed soon after.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: