Talk

Advanced search

Just looking for reassurance really about 9 month old starting nursery

(8 Posts)
Jennysbean Tue 07-Oct-08 09:52:55

I am a bit of a wreck about the thought of DD starting nursery next month. She will be going 2 full days a week starting 1 December and I am going to settle her in mid November. The 60% of me that is still rational knows that she will be taken care of by lovely staff that I have met and like very much but I feel wretched at the thought of leaving her.

The nursery request that babies are able to drink out of a cup or bottle.

She is still breastfed but only in the morning and evening now, after much effort she finally takes a bit of formula in a bottle if she is really hungry, she can drink a bit out of a cup but tends to throw it around more! I have nightmares of her refusing to eat or drink all day!!!

She is not a clingy baby but does keep an eye on me when other people who she doesn't know are holding her so I dont go too far!

I guess I am just looking for someone to tell me that it will be fine and any sucess stories will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

AprilMeadow Tue 07-Oct-08 15:01:53

It will all be fine My ds went in to nursery from 5mths and dd from 9mths. Both took a few weeks to settle but after that they loved it. Ds has been there 3yrs now and adores nursery.

If your dd is thirsty and the only choice is to drink from a cup then she will do it. But dont expect her to do it for you at home wink they can be cheeky little monkies when they want to be! Ds would only ever go to sleep for me when being pushed in the buggy or in the car, somehow they managed to get him to sleep on a cusion on the FLOOR!!!

HelenMc1 Wed 08-Oct-08 14:37:33

My DS went to nursery from 6 months for two days a week, just after I had started weaning him.

Anyway, at first he would not eat what they were giving him for lunch/dinner because of the texture but the nursery have been marvellous in helping him along with eating solids. He is now 9 months and a complete ganet - He had two helpings of fish pie on Monday!

I think they must have looked after babies who have been unsure of drinking from a cup/bottle before, and they will make sure she wont go thirsty

DS loves going to nursery, in fact he looks ever so slightly dissapointed when I pick him up to go home!

newgirl Wed 08-Oct-08 14:44:34

Yes I had two at that age go to nursery for two full days and it has been excellent for them

oct- jan is a long time in a little one's life and she may like a beaker or cup by then - if you are worried about it, maybe talk to them nearer the time - i think you will find that when they all sit together in their high chairs/seats they all have a go at doing the same thing and she may well be fine

my youngest did all sorts of fab things at nursery she wasnt great at at home - eating veg, potty training, sleeping etc! you may be amazed

positive thoughts also - 2 days is lovely - you still have 5 days to have lots of fun together and you will enjoy it all the more for having a change

my dds are doing very well at school although young in their years and i am sure it is down to a great nursery start in life

and i like being able to work, have my own money, and if push came to shove be able to support me and the kids in case we ever needed to

good luck x

CicatrickOrTreat Wed 08-Oct-08 14:50:23

My monkey went full time at 9.5 months and settled really well from the beginning. I had 6 weeks overlap between him starting nursery and me starting work so I could do short days with him after his settles, but it really wasn't necessary, he loved it from the start.

I do ache for him by the end of the week, but quite often I'm glad to hand him over on a Monday morning.

Jennysbean Wed 08-Oct-08 19:17:45

Thanks for all your supportive messages, newgirl, you are right about it's nice having a change, some days I feel DD spends alot of time watching me do housework so I feel that once she starts, the time we have together will be better, other plus points are own money, ability to have a cup of coffee without looking over my shoulder constantly and wearing smart clothes!
Thanks again
x

MrsMattie Wed 08-Oct-08 19:18:40

My DS went 3 days a week from 7 mths. It was harder on me than it was on him smile. He settled fairly quickly and within a few months, it was like a home from home. It's a big adjustment for you both - more so for you, really. Give it some time. Once you have a bit of a routine going and have got over the first few weeks, you'll both be fine.

newgirl Wed 08-Oct-08 21:36:09

i just thought of another thing if you read this thread again:

once your child is settled you meet the other parents and realise that there are loads of very nice normal people also using nurseries making the same decisions you are! two of may best friends are from nursery!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now