Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DD very sad at moving into next room at nursery

(8 Posts)
katiechops Tue 30-Sep-08 11:19:08

DD who has just turned 2 has her first full day in a new room at nursery today. She normally loves nursery, but was crying and very clingy when I took her in today.

She's moved into the group for 2 - 3 year olds, but she still seems so little! Nursery wanted to move her up a few weeks ago when the bigger ones left to start school, but I asked if they could wait a while as she still wasn't 2 and we were going away on holiday for a few days which would break up the settling in period.

The other children who have moved up are 2.3, 2.4 and although DD is a very bright, confident little girl, I think that those extra couple of months do make a difference.

I know that she will be fine, but I feel very sad today!!

cmotdibbler Tue 30-Sep-08 11:26:42

The little ones that have just moved into DS's room (18 months - 3 years, but then divided again into two groups) look teeny tiny and a bit overwhelmed by it all. Within the week they are all running round like loons too though !

nooname Tue 30-Sep-08 11:28:59

I feel for you, it's horrible isn't it?

My ds moved up to next room a few months ago and although it was a bit difficult the first few times now I can honestly say he is happier than he was in the baby room. He goes in without a backward glance now and seems much happier with so much more to do and older children to copy/follow around!

I'm sure she will settle in soon. What helped with my ds was for us to go on and on about what a big boy he was and how exciting it was to be in the big room and not with the babies anymore. For a while if asked how old he was he would announce proudly "2 - big boy!"!

llynnnn Tue 30-Sep-08 11:30:15

my dd moved up a couple of weeks ago now, she is 2.2 and also looks little compared to the others!!

she is still a little unsure when we first go in in the morning, but the staff say within minutes she is absolutely fine and playing with all the others and chatting.

sure she will soon get used to it and will probably love playing with the 'bigger kid' toys!!

keep smiling!!

katiechops Tue 30-Sep-08 11:40:41

Thanks - I'm sure she'll be fine.

She's been ok during the settling in sessions and has been saying "I'm a big girl! I go snowdrops!" (snowdrops is the name of the new room).

amidaiwish Tue 30-Sep-08 12:10:18

she'll be better off, mine have got more unhappy when they need to move up a room but have to wait. if they get bored you've had it, so it's better for them to be slightly ahead than the other way round.

one thing you could try is bringing her in just as it opens so the room isn't hectic. Then she will feel like she "owns" the room as the children are dropped off, rather than having to enter a busy room.

Greatfun Tue 30-Sep-08 21:24:03

DD had a similar experience when she was about 19 months. I would advise giving it a few weeks as DD settled down. She is 3 tomorrow smile and loves nursery.

MiaMamma Mon 13-Oct-08 16:36:19

My DD was very unhappy about moving up and I didn't find nursery staff helpful at all about this. It took DD to move to 'big room' three months because they kept taking DD back to 'toddler room' when she cried or asked to be back. (i have left this nursery now, many more other reasons). I never knew which room she'll be in the evening and this moving around was very confusing for her. With supportive staff/keyworker it will take little while but she'll be fine, she'll get used to it and loves to be in big room! Even my DD loved it in the end

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now