Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

sleeping outside

(21 Posts)
bigmomma1 Tue 30-Sep-08 10:23:55

my son is starting nursery in november and i've found one i really like. the only issue i have is that they prefer the children to nap outside in prams and i'm not sure how i feel about that. any thoughts?

Sycamoretree Tue 30-Sep-08 10:28:44

Eeek, starting to remind me of a certain Ch4 documentary.....do they insisit on this in winter too? And when they say prefer, do they mean you can say no and have them sleep inside if you want them to.

I have really never heard of anything like this.

BabyBaby123 Tue 30-Sep-08 10:32:43

that's very odd - did they give you any reason as to why?? hmm

cheesesarnie Tue 30-Sep-08 10:33:52

why?bit odd.are they supervised or just shoved outside?i instantly thought of that documentry too!

compo Tue 30-Sep-08 10:34:33

I have heard this befre
some nurseries don't have sleep rooms so just rock the child in pushchair until it sleeps and then leave it under a hangar outside
not much different to being asleepin the pushchair when you are out and about but not sure I'd like it everyday

bigmomma1 Tue 30-Sep-08 17:57:34

I know - I hated that woman on 'Bringing Up Baby' and so that's why I don't like the idea of it. They said it's so they aren't disturbed whilst sleeping and can follow own sleep patterns and get lots of fresh air. I have asked for him to sleep inside in a cot and they've said that's fine. However, there isn't a separate room so don't know how well he'll sleep. I know this is quite a big issue but think I'm going to try it out as I love everything else about the place - apart from the fact that I have to sen DS there at all! Hope I'm making the right decision...

juneybean Tue 30-Sep-08 20:16:07

Sleeping children do not have to be in the same room as an adult.

cheesesarnie Tue 30-Sep-08 20:57:27

no but this isnt different room-its outside!

PortAndLemon Tue 30-Sep-08 21:01:32

I wouldn't mind -- in fact, provided you aren't near a main road I think it's a good idea. Bringing Up Baby woman stuck them in prams in the garden and just left them there; presumably the nursery aren't planning to just do that but will keep an eye on them and respond to their needs.

lauraloola Tue 30-Sep-08 22:12:47

What??? How do they supervise this? I guess that they do this in an enclosed, safe area?

Could you ask them to let you lo sleep inside if you are unsure about it?

QuintessentialShadows Tue 30-Sep-08 22:16:32

This is the way it is done in Norway.

However, prams are quite different here, they are like this due to artic weather conditions, and very padded. They children have sleeping bags, and a duvet on top, and most likely a sheepskin under. Most mums will put their children to sleep like this outside their front door.

QuintessentialShadows Tue 30-Sep-08 22:16:34

This is the way it is done in Norway.

However, prams are quite different here, they are like this due to artic weather conditions, and very padded. They children have sleeping bags, and a duvet on top, and most likely a sheepskin under. Most mums will put their children to sleep like this outside their front door.

Simplysally Tue 30-Sep-08 22:36:50

Babies used to left outside houses for kips years ago [old person emoticon] although I dont know if that was in winter or not.

Presumably not at the front or out of sight of the carer though hmm.

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long ast he children were being monitored regularly and brought in if they got cold.

singingtree Tue 30-Sep-08 22:44:41

We stayed with friends in Copenhagen when DS was just over one. We left DS and their baby DD in prams (they lent us one like the one in QS's link) asleep outside all over the place. DH and I were a little nervous it has to be said, not about the cold, but that someone would nick him

bigmomma1 Thu 02-Oct-08 18:39:07

Thanks for your help xxx.

mumof2fabkids Thu 09-Oct-08 22:55:58

I guess it depends how it's done, hope they're not too rigid about it, will be interesting to see how OFSTED view this under EYFS. Let us know how it works out for you both?

rosiejoy Sun 12-Oct-08 09:44:21

this happens at the nursery my kids go to. it was actually ofsted reccommendation. the room has glass doors to outside and they take naps in the pushchair just outside, so can be seen and heard, also there is a shelter so they dont get rained on or anything. i actually think its a good idea.

findtheriver Sun 12-Oct-08 19:39:48

Well my babies napped in the garden - though I had a proper pram, not the silly buggy type things you sometimes see which don't offer proper protection.

Provided it's safe, the babies are properly supervised so that staff are aware when they wake, what's the problem? I'd prefer my baby sleeping in the fresh air.

mumtoone Tue 14-Oct-08 21:13:07

They do this at my dd's nursery and I'm quite happy with it. Most babies sleep outside in prams which are literally just outside the door of the babyroom in an enclosed outdoor area with an overhanging roof to keep them dry. If the weather is very poor they come inside. Its no different to your child sleeping in a pram whilst you are out shopping and its the only fresh air they get during the day.

madrose Tue 14-Oct-08 21:20:48

if it helps, my friends childminder did this with his two sons. They are now 6 foot plus, and love the outdoors. As long as they are monitored and strapped in they will be fine.

When dd was little, i always left her in the garden to sleep.

bigmomma1 Wed 15-Oct-08 23:05:52

Thanks ladies - feel better now. Am going for the nursery. Now I just need to get used to the idea of returning to work!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now