Talk

Advanced search

does anyone know about the DDA, preschools and nappies?

(4 Posts)
nappyaddict Fri 26-Sep-08 17:20:08

I have put in bold the bits I would like explaining. Can you tell me some examples of what would make it a known risk?

"Child Protection

The normal process of changing a nappy should not raise child protection concerns, and there are no regulations that indicate that a second member of staff must be available to supervise the nappy changing process to ensure that abuse does not take place. Few setting/schools will have the staffing resources to provide two members of staff for nappy changing and CRB checks are carried out to ensure the safety of children with staff employed in childcare and education settings. If there is known risk of false allegation by a child then a single practitioner should not undertake nappy changing. A student on placement should not change a nappy unsupervised."

"If it is not possible to provide a purpose built changing area, then it is possible to purchase a changing mat, and change the child on the floor or on another suitable surface. A ‘Do not enter’ sign (visually illustrated) can be placed on the toilet door to ensure that privacy and dignity are maintained during the time taken to change the child."

If they were changing them in the toilet cubicle surely they would just lock the door? Or does it mean they could change them in the area by the sinks so would have to put a do not enter sign to stop people coming in to use the toilet? Would it have to be a toilet area or could they change them in any other room that could be closed off?

Thirdly can a preschool insist that you put your child in pull ups or disposable nappies?

Fourthly does all the above apply to a child in reception or just a child of pre-school age?

KatyMac Fri 26-Sep-08 21:21:04

This may be wrong - it is my impression not fact
"If there is known risk of false allegation by a child then a single practitioner should not undertake nappy changing" - some children are know tale spinners, so this would be good practice (tbh I dislike this because if someone is changed by 2 people then the implication is that they lie - but I don't know how to protect the worker without doing that)

"A ‘Do not enter’ sign (visually illustrated) can be placed on the toilet door to ensure that privacy and dignity are maintained during the time taken to change the child" Um yes they could be in the sink area - often a cubical isn't big enough to change even a toddler never mind a 7yo - most public places have a disabled (sorry easy access) loo so the floor there would be ideal imo but I have changed nappies in the head teacher office because it was more convenient

INSIST - I really don't think so but they may try (there is someone on eMN who is a DDA/Nappy/school expert...but I can't remember who, sorry)

4thly - I would assume so

Good luck

nappyaddict Fri 26-Sep-08 22:05:46

what is eMN?

KatyMac Fri 26-Sep-08 22:12:48

typo - MN (mumsnet)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now