Talk

Advanced search

Keep DS in nursery while on year's maternity leave?

(8 Posts)
jm54 Thu 25-Sep-08 13:43:02

My DS is 21 months and currently goes to nursery 3 days a week while I'm at work. I finish up for a year's maternity leave at the end of Oct. The plan is for DS (and new baby) to return to this nursery at the end of my mat leave. Is it worth keeping DS in nursery maybe 1 morning a week while I'm on mat leave, for continuity, or best to take him out altogether and rejoin in a year's time? Anyone with experience of this issue, I'd love to hear from you!

JODIEhadababy Thu 25-Sep-08 13:46:16

I've kept my DS in nursery 2 mornings a week while I;m off, it gives me a chance to spend some quality time with DS2 without distraction, it also allows DS1 some independance. I can also get stuff done as DS1 doesn't like the puchchair anymore, so shopping is a nightmare!!!!

Cantandwont Thu 25-Sep-08 13:46:39

We kept dd there. Lots of reasons. She'd have lost her place if we didn't, I thought I'd welcome a couple of days a week when I only had one to look after (and I did!) and from her point of view I think it helped the adjustment - it was a place where she could still be the person she used to be, rather than a big sister, if you see what I mean. It's difficult for them sometimes to adjust, I think, and nursery definitely helped. Also it made me feel better about the days when I was too knackered to do anything apart from turn on the tv as I knew she was being stimulated elsewhere...

tokentotty Thu 25-Sep-08 13:47:34

My DS1 is 13 months and goes to nursery 3 days a week which he loves. I go back on maternity leave as of Monday and am planning on keeping him in nursery so he has the continuation of care that he's familiar with but reduce his hours and days as suits me. This means we'll have time together AND time for me to take it a bit easy and get ready for number 2. Plus, when the new baby arrives he'll keep going and won't feel pushed out but we get some time to settle the new baby in. Obviously no idea if this plan will pan out complete and am very ready to change it but it's what we're going to try.

Amani Thu 25-Sep-08 13:48:28

I kept DD1 in nursery 2 mornings a week when off on mat leave. DH used to drop her off in the mornings, so I would sometimes get a nice lie in, gave me the opportunity to catch up on housework but most importantly have some quality time with DD2 with out DD1 get jelous/causing a riot.

mummyclare Thu 25-Sep-08 13:59:42

What cantandwont said. I am on mat leave with dc3 and both others are at nursery for some time everyday.

northender Thu 25-Sep-08 14:01:59

My ds did 3 days and when dd was born he continued. He was 3 when she was born. Affordability is an issue but it worked for us.

Pendulum Thu 25-Sep-08 14:03:12

Agree with other posters, esp cantandwont

I reduced DD1 from 4 full days to 3 full days when I went on mat leave and it was a good compromise. Although it was difficult and felt wrong to drop her off some days when I knew I would be at home with DD2, I think she benefitted from the continuity of relationships and the stimulation that I couldn't give her while looking after a tiny one. (She was quite a bit older than your DS though, 3.6 years, so her need for social contact may have been more developed).

IM(V)HO, if you're pretty sure he will need to go back to nursery after your mat leave then I think it is a good idea to keep him there, even if you reduce his hours to save a bit of cash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now