Talk

Advanced search

dc had first day in nursery and never cried - - -traitors

(12 Posts)
elmoandella Fri 19-Sep-08 21:19:30

i'm so pleased to have finally gotten dc 13month&2.7yo into same nursery in same room for one full day together.

i was cracking up and house was a real tip.dp demanded i get a cleaner or put them in nursery for a day and do myself. it's £40 cheaper to send them to nursery.

anyway, they had a 1hour and 2 hour settling in days. put them in for a full day today and they never batted an eyelid

ds said "bye mummy, we're going to have lunch and forty winks" (although his forty sounds like fucking)

dd completely ignored me while she played with plastercine.

such a relief as when i tried ds with nursery before dd came along he absolutely hated it. tried for 2 months and he was terrible. screamed when i left him and they couldn't deal with him so every time i went in he was sitting in ball pool by himself.

so relieved to find a nursery they like.

but felt a little hard done when they never cried for me.

lol. some people are never happy eh grin

pucca Fri 19-Sep-08 21:23:15

Strength in numbers though you know, my dd has just started reception and i have just started taking ds to a playgroup 2 mornings a week so i can do a placement for a college course.

In the summer hols, i took them both for a couple of mornings (the playgroup), they both loved it and ds (1st time away from me) didn't bat an eyelid, pretty sure it was because dd was with him, cue Sept and ds going on his own? mega tears! he is ok now and has settled in but with having his sister with him in the summer he must have felt more at ease and more confident.

gigglewitch Fri 19-Sep-08 21:23:42

so you have done a fab job as a mum and you have secure and happy little people who know who's looking after them and know when mummy's coming back grin
congrats, and it will be a good investment for the future (you wouldn't believe how many leg-clingers there are in Reception this year...)wink

onepieceoflollipop Fri 19-Sep-08 21:24:54

Oh it's lovely that they are able to be together.

My dds are almost 4 years apart, but when the baby started nursery dd1 was in the preschool room and was allowed to visit her and spend time with her in the baby room which was so lovely for them.

Really pleased for you. Will they have a day every week?

pucca Fri 19-Sep-08 21:25:06

Also, ime mainly with dd, the first week or so they do seem absolutely fine and you feel a little sad they don't seem to miss you, but once it sinks it that it is a regular thing they start with the tears etc, so it still may come smile, they do get over it quickly enough though, its just really hard to trust someone else, turn on your heels and walk out.

elmoandella Fri 19-Sep-08 21:28:37

well i was also thinking this would be a good way to get them into the mode for going to proper nursery. ds is due to go to school nursery in april. and if he was going on his own i know he would have hated it as his first experience away.

nursery said he was very concerned about what dd was doing and making sure she was alright. aparently he had to be informed at all times where dd was and what she was doing when they removed her.

but as soon as they told him she was off for nappy change or a sleep he was cool and got on with what he was doing.

and they make sure they take kids outside into their massive garden once everyday which i love. as both kids are really content outside come rain or shine.

and........ he used toilet on his own. i was expecting to be back to square one with potty training. but he was great and even remember to wash his hands apparently

elmoandella Fri 19-Sep-08 21:30:50

it's every friday. but for first few weeks i'm going to do same as today. take them late so they have wee play, then lunch, then nap and then i'll get them in afternoon. it's only 4-5 hours. but just so they get used to the fact that i'll be back.

gigglewitch Fri 19-Sep-08 21:44:44

perfect. what a great arrangement smile
if you want you can build it up to slightly earlier starts, for ds benefit, but going a bit late atm means that they're likely to be calm because nobody's had to rush them to get out for a certain time in the morning!

elmoandella Fri 19-Sep-08 21:47:34

yeah, and dont think i'll ever put them in for breakfast or dinner. as they wouldn't get that a proper school nursery anyway.

gigglewitch Fri 19-Sep-08 21:53:15

my Dc never go in for breakfast either. ours have a main meal mid-day, and then "nursery tea" which is sandwiches and fruit at around 4pm. it means that if they get an evening meal at home then fine for those with hollow legs like my dd, if not then that is fine cos they are well fed grin

elmoandella Fri 19-Sep-08 21:56:30

well i normally have dinner with dc at 5pm.

9am till 4pm will be more than enough of a full day for my liking.

but i was so shacked today. all i managed to get done was bathrooms and supermarket shop in time they were away.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 19-Sep-08 21:58:18

elmo it is great when you can give them a nice "easy" day that they are comfortable with.

I often work late shifts, and although the baby can go in from 8, I usually take her in either late morning so she naps in her own cot, or at 12 noon for her lunch. dh then collects her at 4.30 which really works for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now