Talk

Advanced search

11mo refusing to eat or drink at nursery. Help!

(6 Posts)
missbumpy Wed 17-Sep-08 09:21:07

My 11mo has just started nursery this week and it's been a real struggle settling her in as she's quite clingy and is used to being with me every day. My main concern is that she's refusing all food and drink while at nursery. I'm not so worried about the food as she's not a big eater at the best of times and I can compensate with big breakfasts and dinners but I am worried that she'll get really dehydrated as it's pretty hot in there and she's quite active.
Usually she drinks lots of water when she's at home and she has formula mid-morning and mid-afternoon too.
Is this normal? Does anyone else have experience of this? Will it get better as she get's used to being at nursery?

1dilemma Wed 17-Sep-08 22:12:44

Can be normal I'm afraid mine have done it. My baby was terrible and in fact is just going to new nursery at nearly 2 and dh had to collect at 3 because..... yes nothing to eat or drink all day, however usual appetite is that of an elephant so I'm not expecting a problem for long!!
It does get better

What about lots of yog/fruit/liquidy things? Does she use bottle at home and cup at nursery? if so might help to go back to bottle for a bit (she'll switch out with peer pressure grin
How about a drink before drop off and as you pick up after a few days give it to her in the nursery room and see if that helps.
Make sure nursery is offering lots of drinks even just before pick up as well

try not to worry I'm sure it will settle!

missbumpy Sat 20-Sep-08 20:43:42

Thanks. On Wednesday (she's in on Mon, Tues, Wed) she actually drank quite a lot so that's a relief but she's still not eating while at nursery. She seemed to make up for it the next day when she was at home though So maybe I'll just have to give her huge breakfasts and dinners and hope she can get through the day without lunch! Doesn't seem ideal but I don't know what else to do. TBH, having seen some of the crap they feed the babies, I don't blame her for refusing it!

Midge25 Sat 20-Sep-08 20:56:37

My dd (8m) did this when she started...lasted about a week and then she seemed to be fine x

lecohen Mon 22-Sep-08 11:14:41

Hiya, I'm going through exactly the same thing with my girl...fortunately she accepts what I pack for her but refuses anything the nursery offers... I too am hoping it is just a phase (she started nursery 2 weeks ago)

missbumpy Tue 23-Sep-08 13:44:57

Glad I'm not alone. She's now drinking water and eating bread but nothing else (it's like prison rations!). Poor mite!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now