Talk

Advanced search

nursery's protocols

(17 Posts)
kuta Fri 12-Sep-08 18:49:22

anyone else has a problem with nursery ringing when you're at work,'informing' you your dd just had diarrhoea and need to be taken home?( policy: 3 episodes and baby needs to be taken home apprently). happened twice and she's only been there for a month. both times no sign of excessive pooing when she gets home. isn't that a bit over the top, especially that her poos are always loose anyway?

nell12 Fri 12-Sep-08 18:53:57

My dd's nursery has done the same; it is every nursery and school's policy that if a child suffers from diarrhoea or vomiting then they need to kept at home for 24 hours after the last episode.

You may just find that the pooing at nursey has cleared out her system and so there is not much left to do at home IYSWIM

It may be an idea to inform the nursery that dd has loose poos normally and they need to be really loose to be diarrhoea.

tiggerlovestobounce Fri 12-Sep-08 19:06:24

That is the policy at my nursery too. I've never been called for it though.

nannynick Fri 12-Sep-08 19:10:18

Nursery Managers Survey 2006 - See page 8 in particular, with regard to the "three strikes" policy that some nurseries adopt, plus about exclusion periods.

RubySlippers Fri 12-Sep-08 19:12:08

it is 2 loose nappies at DS's nursery

and then 48 hours off

DS eats so much fruit and veg that his poos are soft - loose (and much worse when teething)

tell your nursery if something like this is causing an issue

McDreamy Fri 12-Sep-08 19:12:27

But diarrhoea is the passing of frequent liquid stool not one episode.

McDreamy Fri 12-Sep-08 19:13:37

Sorry didn't read the op properly - 3 episodes, guess that's frequent! But harsh if this is normal for your DD

McDreamy Fri 12-Sep-08 19:13:38

Sorry didn't read the op properly - 3 episodes, guess that's frequent! But harsh if this is normal for your DD

babbi Fri 12-Sep-08 19:13:48

Not over the top , they can`t take the chance that its not a bug and therefore can spread round the nursery like wildfire.
In fact most nurseries in my area insist on colletcion after 2 episodes.

kuta Fri 12-Sep-08 19:14:04

but i tell them all the time!

and the weird thing is that sometimes they happy to keep her, and other times they not. the first month i was at home anyway (studing for an exam when she was in nursey 3 days/week). now i'm back at work and can't drop everything and run to get her. especially as i'm only ther part time.

i do understand that viral gastroenteritis spreads like ther's no tomorrow, but, honestly, how often do babies get true gastro? more often it's just teething...

i can't decide if i should start looking for a nanny instead. it would be such a shame cause my dd just loves the nursery .

i was thinking to have a chat with the menager, but don't want to appear as uncaring mother who is more interested in her work...

RubySlippers Fri 12-Sep-08 19:17:06

aw - well if sometimes they are happy to keep her then could there be an issue with the staffing ratios on some occasions?

i have discussed this issue with DS's nursery so you should raise it

kuta Fri 12-Sep-08 19:19:40

that's what i was thinking rubyslippers. but it's a tiny nursery (max 13 kids a day) and charges a fortune. that would be really poor...

kuta Fri 12-Sep-08 19:24:15

other thing i've heard is some parents just say ' i can't be there ealier than in 3 hours' which is almost end of the day anyway. but how do you know your baby is not really sick?

RubySlippers Fri 12-Sep-08 19:26:00

it would be poor, but has happened to friends of mine

if they call you and say she has been pooing and sick all day with a fever i would collect without hesitation

kuta Fri 12-Sep-08 19:30:07

yes they called in the morning saying she's holding her ear and crying ( she just found her ears and loves sticking her thumb there, she might have overdone on it). no temps.
then when i rung back she stopped, so i stayed at work. then they rung again about the poo, insisting i come in so i did. she was full of beans, no problems. took her home hasn't cried for the rest of the day. or pooed. bit strange, don't you think?

tiggerlovestobounce Fri 12-Sep-08 19:43:08

Do you know if other parents get called a lot too?

kuta Fri 12-Sep-08 19:46:21

don't really know any other parents there.

i guess ill just see how it goes. i think i will consider the nanny though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now