Talk

Advanced search

Nursery Issues... Advice please ?

(8 Posts)
dashboardconfessionals Thu 11-Sep-08 13:41:49

Message withdrawn

pixiechelle Fri 12-Sep-08 01:24:34

I have no idea! My son has been going to nursery for the past 6 months full time and I have to pay direct debit a month in advance which is fine. Personally I wouldn't like handing over that amount of cash to whoever is in the room. Legally it's your word against theres and if you withdrew the money 5 minutes before, that to me, is proof. They may threaten you with legal action but any judge would say it's silly to hand over the money without them counting it and writing a receipt there and then. I can see why you are fed up. Whatever there next move is make sure you threaten them with OFSTED! It may help! Keep us posted! Michelle

babbi Fri 12-Sep-08 15:11:34

Ofsted do not get involved with financial disputes , so that is not a threat.
You may not be happy at being asked to collect but that is their policy and does NOT constitute any issues regarding care.
Therefore Ofsted will not be interested.
You cannot prove that you paid this money , so they are quite likely to pursue you for this and any notice period that is in your contract. ( In future when handing cash to anyone you will know to ask for a receipt.
Best advice is to make an appointment to speak to the manager and see if you can reach some agreement.

Pixiechelle am mystified how on earth you think that someone withdrawing money from a bank is proof that any bill has been paid ?
Only proof a court would consider is a receipt .

lauraloola Fri 12-Sep-08 16:43:30

Good for you. They should have made receipts out as soon as you paid. When did you put the letter through the door? TBH they should take you word for it, do you remember who you gave the money to?

I think they are unlikely to take legal advice but it may be worth you having some. In our area you get 30 mins with a Solicitor I think. Might be a good idea as back up and to stop you worrying smile

RubySlippers Fri 12-Sep-08 16:46:36

check your contract

they may request you pay all outstanding monies and pursue you

as Babbi says OFSTED aren't interested in financial disputes

i would be so wary of paying anything in cash for precisely the reasons you state

they are also allowed to increase their fees providing they give you notice

i would really check your contract

RubySlippers Fri 12-Sep-08 16:47:51

BUT why didn't you ask for a receipt

it works both ways!

i am sorry if you have lost £300 but you also have a responsibility to ask for, and get a receipt

dashboardconfessionals Fri 12-Sep-08 16:58:55

Message withdrawn

RubySlippers Fri 12-Sep-08 17:02:45

hindsight is a wonderful thing

get out your contract and take things from there

you can always suggest installment payments

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now